Slackware for a newbie?

Place to discuss Slackware
Engineer
user
user

Slackware for a newbie?

Post by Engineer » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:30 pm

Hey everyone finally made it over here from MES. A quick question. A guy I know is getting into linux (yes my doing :) ) and is going to try Slackware for his first distro. Is this a good idea or should he try something else? I told him that I thought MDK or RH would be better choices IMO, but whatever floats his boat right? Just curious as to what you all think

Dj

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:47 pm

If it does not work show him an easier distro. There is no real reason why Slackware will not work for him any less than another distribution. it's just that Slackware actually requires you understand a little of what you are doing, whereas MDK and RH don't.

The default setup will not be incredibly user friendly, you get benefits like better security for that, however you may have to hunt around for stuff, and of course Slack has its own packaging system not RPM.

It is harder to install, and you may need a third party partitioning tool. You'll need to be able to work out which kernel you need to boot, the documentation on the CD and at the website is very good, just make sure you read it carefully.

And yes find what floats your boat and go with it. I will be playing with it this weekend, I hope, so hang around, and maybe if we get probs we can help each other out.

choasforages
n00b
n00b

Post by choasforages » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:38 pm

it probably would depend. i learned linux/unix on my own, and spend my days trying to learn more. if he wants to learn and is not easly discouraged, slackware would suit him fine. just make sure to lots of good hardcopy documentation, one of the books that helped my was "a book on linux from redhat dated around 1995 or so. and a few unix books

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:13 am

Even i can install Slackware

If you cant, your not just a "retart" like me, your a "dumb retart".

shira
user
user

Post by shira » Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:14 pm

personally I'd play around with something like mandrake first (if you are new to linux/unix) then take steps up to slackware or gentoo

Engineer
user
user

Post by Engineer » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:06 am

That's what I figured and told him, but he doesn't seem to be too discouraged(sp?) He PMs me the other night and says
DUDE! This s*it is hard, how do I install stuff. It keeps asking for a password everytime I try and install something
hahahah, I explained it to him (after laughing of course) and he seems to be doing well now.

but he seems pretty persistent. Ahhhh my first convert, feels pretty good. Liberating in fact :P

Dj

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:31 am

cool, i might have to try slack soon on one of my pentium75's