CD permissions?!?

Place to discuss Slackware
Master of Reality
guru
guru

CD permissions?!?

Post by Master of Reality » Thu May 29, 2003 2:37 pm

I cant figure out the permissions for my CDROM.
I have /dev/cdrom. I put in a music CD, run KsCD as user and it says "insufficient permissions (or no CD loaded)". Then i run KsCD as root and it works perfectly fine. I have played around with the permission in fstab, but i cant seem to figure out what exactly i have to change to get it to work with users???? any ideas?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu May 29, 2003 3:06 pm

Maybe it's the permissions on the block device rather than the symlink?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu May 29, 2003 3:38 pm

Tux is right, it has nothing to do with your /etc/fstab or /dev/cdrom symlink. Music CDs are not mounted. You need to check the permissions on the device that the /dev/cdrom symlink points to. Some distros manage permissions on these devices when the user logs in via the /etc/security/console.perms file. For instance, these lines are in the default Red Hat console.perms:

Code: Select all

<cdrom>=/dev/cdrom* /dev/cdroms/* /dev/cdwriter* /mnt/cdrom*
<console>  0600 <cdrom>      0660 root.disk
What the above lines mean is that when a user is logged in at the console the permissions will be changed on the indicated files so that they will be owned by the person loggin in and have mode "0600". When the user logs out the ownership will go back to root and mode "0660". Now since /dev/cdrom is just a symlink on most people's systems the actual device file that it points to would get the changes.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri May 30, 2003 1:47 am

Void Main wrote:Some distros manage permissions on these devices when the user logs in via the /etc/security/console.perms file.
i am almost certain slackware is one of these, if that's what you are using MoR, i haven't had this problem in slack simply because my sound card won't play music CDs without ALSA, which i can't get to install :evil: but there's a simple fix: i don't play music CDs on the computer :(

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Fri May 30, 2003 2:31 pm

erm.... i dont have a /etc/security/ directory let alone a console.perms
I'll look in the startup scripts and see if it tried to call that file or if it is set in there

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri May 30, 2003 2:34 pm

Have you tried "chmod 777 /dev/cdrom"? And like usual, it could be helpful to know the distro you are running.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Fri May 30, 2003 4:17 pm

He's running slack 9.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sat May 31, 2003 8:13 am

ya i just chmodded /dev/hdc (where dev/cdrom goes to) and /dev/sr0 (my other drive) to 777. It should work now,