Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

USB Flash Drives

Post by Linux Frank » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:29 pm

Has anyone had any experiences with this stuff

Flash Memory - USB Newegg.com

Good/Bad/Ugly?

I'm thinking it might be a great way to keep files with you, and use it as a backup device. Easy use for non-technical people.

What is really good is some of the companies selling this stuff now state catagorically if it runs Linux, those that don't have lost my business, and quite possibly all my future business (including Linksys, so maybe the Cisco influence is improving Linksys).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:53 pm

I have had good luck with LinkSys personally. I don't believe Cisco will be a plus when it comes to whether or not Linux is supported. Cisco is the Microsoft of the networking world. As far as LinkSys, not only have the devices I bought from them work under Linux but some of their devices actually *run* Linux on them. My wireless router is an example of that:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net:81/

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:03 pm

I have had some bad luck with Linksys customer service, and they have never answered e-mails about Linux compatability, so now they mention in the advertising that their products run Linux this seemed like news to me. So I thought maybe Cisco were having a positive effect.

Anyway cheers, I think a few of these would be real handy.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:15 pm

Interesting. I can't remember the last time I called customer support from any vendor, for anything since I usually get 10 times better help from google than I do from any customer support. Actually the last people I called for support was Cisco regarding some Cisco software that we run on Solaris (some of the worst software you'll ever want to see, it actually makes Microsoft software look good). But that doesn't count because we pay *big* $$ for our support contracts, that rarely get any use from me.

Nobber
user
user

Post by Nobber » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:44 am

I've had one of these for a while now. Works perfectly with Linux (otherwise I would have returned it). Useful for carrying files I've downloaded on a fast network (i.e. at work) over to computers on a slow network (i.e. at home).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:58 am

I can also use my camera for USB storage. I just mount it like a hard drive and that gives me 128MB per stick. :)

chartoo
user
user

Post by chartoo » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:03 am

Look around, Best Buy and some of the other chains have
mail in rebates on some USB key drives.
I got a Fuji 128 MB USB drive for $30 after a $30 mail in rebate.
Great for moving MP3s, photos and backup files between PCs.

I use one to bring home a copy of the backup file for my business records,
currently a 25MB file and copy it to my home PC, simple and easy.

Though I haven't done it, some PCs can use them as boot devices.
They are also good for Live distros, Knoppix etc., to save your settings.

;-)