Radeon 7200 is so old and wrinkly

Discuss Applications
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Radeon 7200 is so old and wrinkly

Post by JoeDude »

all right...tired of me yet?

Trying to find a linux driver for the radeon 7200.

Yast found le, se, qd, bla bla bla...but stopped at the 7500. This doesn't make sense since the 7200 was made after the le but before the 7500. Hell they even had rage pro junk in there. So I dig and research, ATI says, "We don't support your junk anymore...use this for a driver

http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/

I did...couldn't find the driver...screwed around a little longer and found this

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthre ... did=128015

which told me to go here:

http://www.freedesktop.org/~dri/snapshots/archive/

If I read it right, the most current Radeon file there should have a driver for me. Ya'll are the experts and I just wanted to make sure before hand.

Is there a better way, or a better place to look?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

heh, the Radeon 7200 seems to be fully supported on the new X.org. Does Suse have it? Or are you stuck with XFree86?

Weird, if you go cruising hardware databases for a Radeon 7200, you find nothing. Nothing. It's like they just disappeared.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

Now you see my dilema...it is as if they've disappeared. It's like ATI is making it as if that card was never produced by them.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Perhaps they are a bit embarassed by how shitty the card is?

Okay, now is the time where I ask you what the hell the problem really is. Obviously, your graphics card does work, because you would not be able to use Yast or a gui of any kind if it did not. So then why in the world do you need a driver? If X starts, your card is supported by Suse. If there is something further you need to do, then please tell us.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude »

it identified it as a radeon QD...find that one!

3D grahocs will not enable properly

It just acts funny is all when I try to play SuSE indigenous games like Xfighter flight sim.

Remember the serious issues you saw my vid card having in the boot log. It works, but it's like driving a ferrari with a hyundai engine in it...well maybe not to that extreme, but you get the point. I was just trying to isolate the exact drivers so I could see if I got a lil better performance.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

i just now saw the title of this thread and i thought "it's so old and wrinkly..."

"it reminds me of my butt!"

must be some sort of genetic memory or something...