Firefox and Shoutcast

Discuss Applications
worker201
guru
guru

Firefox and Shoutcast

Post by worker201 »

Anybody:

I have FC3, Firefox, and xmms. What I would like to do is listen to shoutcast streams with xmms. And I cannot. I told Firefox to open audio/x-scpls files with xmms, and it does not. Instead, it opens a blank page, and xmms isn't even launched. xmms help and shoutcast help and Firefox help have been useless for this issue.

As a side note, xmms user manual suggests that I tell Firefox to invoke it with "xmms %s". Clicking on the toolbar link invokes "xmms -e %F". I know what the '-e' does, but I have no idea what the percent-flags do. Anybody help me out with that? Perhaps a list of percent-flags, and their functions?

Thanks

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Okay, problem solved. It seems that using mozplugger (available and very tempting from apt) takes over media operations, and tries to deal with them in the browser. After removing it via synaptic, Firefox now asks what to do about .pls files, and telling it to use xmms works great.

I still want to know about the '%s' thing.

Also, can I seriously harm my system by adding or modifying /etc/mime.types?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

%s would be replaced by the full path to the file you clicked on, probably something like "/tmp/fileyouclicked.pls".