lost 9Gb of diskspace...why?

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

lost 9Gb of diskspace...why?

Post by Basher52 »

I just reinstalled with FC3, but i had the same problem with FC2 on this disk.

here's a 'df':
/dev/hdd1 166G 93M 157G 1% /...

it shows that i use 93Mb of the disk(gotta be for theOS, since it's empty), but cant access 9G of it?
How come?
Need to be fixed, if possible, before I add any data on it, and that is very near since i allready got the databasefiles sent to me.

B52

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 »

oops :oops:

i forgot to format the disk with the -m0

:oops: :oops:

UPDATE: I wonder what this so called superuser area is?
and how i can use it and for what etc etc?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Don't take my word for it because I am not 100% sure and there are two different reasons that I understand this area is used for, both of them are significant when the disk gets full, or nearly full. One of them is performance related and the other is an area dedicated to the root user so if thet disk gets full normal files that root are writing to (logs) can still be written to. Without this area a normal user might be able to bring the system down by filling up the the file system.

Obviously if the real reason is the second reason then it's really only important on "/" or "/var" file systems and could be done away with on data partitions. Also if this is the case then you could use a smaller percentage on a larger drive. Since it *is* percentage based and not a set number it would lead me to believe it's actually performance related. I don't know what the consequences are of eliminating it completely. I would assume there would be no consequence as long as the file system isn't completely filled. I'll have to do some digging for a real answer.