Suggestions for a MySQL database manager

Discuss Applications
dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Suggestions for a MySQL database manager

Post by dickinsd »

One of the tools I still use on my Windows machine is a program called dbtools

This allows me to login to my hosts DB server so that I can add, edit, remove or backup my data/database.

Can anyone suggest a good alternative that I can use with FC?

Thanks

Dave

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

No reason to have that stuff run locally. Install this program on your webspace, and access/admin your databases remotely, from any computer.
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

Unless you meant something different. Check it out, I use it all the time, and it works great.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Yes, phpMyAdmin is an excellent tool. If you want something that runs locally there are a few for download at the mysql site. I have used mysqlcc and mysql-administrator:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

Thanks for your suggestions, I think I will go for phpMyAdmin.

Another host of mine has phpMyAdmin connected to the account control panel, and yes this tool is very good, so I think I will go that way eventually.

As for now, I have just downloaded and tried the MySQL administrator, currently I have only tried it in Windows, but that is one nice piece of kit, gives you loads more info than dbtools.

Cheers for the suggestions, I think I will use MySQL-administrator for now and definately install phpMyAdmin when I get round to setting my web server back up again.

Thanks

Dave

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

phpMyAdmin is also pretty easy to install by yourself to your host, as long as you have MySQL support and access. Just modify one file and then copy the whole folder to your host via ftp. It's nice when they install it for you, but not required at all.

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

Cool, I didn't realise you could do that, I have just made the changes, uploaded it and it works - Perfect!

I thought something as powerful (at least appears to be powerful) as this would need to be installed.

I just got to figure out the security part of it now.

The host that uses phpMyAdmin has it so I need to supply the db server address, my username and my password everytime I want to access it, I really want something like that if possible.

Not sure how to go about locking it down, as currently all you need to do is type the address to the index.php file and you have my complete database, no authentication or anything. :cry:

Thanks for the great tip though

Dave

EDIT - changing the auth type to HTTP - really need to read things better!!!

Now I have what I want - perfect!

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 »

Their website also refers to a book, "Mastering phpMyAdmin for Effective MySQL Management", which is a bit long for a title (catchy, people, catchy! it must be catchy!). Anyway, it has been invaluable to me as a reference when organizing, securing, and maintaining my databases. Recommended.