Firefox over IE, the pros and cons...

Discuss Applications
xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Firefox over IE, the pros and cons...

Post by xyle_one » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:20 pm

I am working on my employers. They are very receptive to my ideas and love that I have knowledge of the world outside of Windows. But, they all use IE, and I used firefox. Today, my boss asked me why, and I explained that it's better, it's faster, not as buggy, tabbed browsing, web dev toolbar, not such a security risk as IE. He bought that and decided then that he will switch, in fact, the whole office will switch. Except for one person. And she is going to be hard to convince. So, now i have to put together a small comparison, the pros and cons of using Firefox over IE. I could bull hockey my way through it, but having some hard facts would be much better. If anyone could direct me to some decent reports of this nature it would be greatly appreciated.

Of course, I will be doing my own research too, so don't think I'm trying to get everyone else to do my homework for me ;)

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:02 pm

Here's a frightening little article I read today:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=174156

The first few pages are kinda yadayadayada - nothing new. Early in the article, it says that Firefox outperforms IE6 on every level, and just claims it is a fact, no justification. But the last page is just plain scary. According to the author, Microsoft is planning to use IE7 and Longhorn and .NET to take over the internet. All that will be left is dumb fansites, and photo galleries, like back in '95 when nothing was on the internet.

So in order to preserve the internet as a place where we have a free exchange of ideas, documents, and entertainment, you MUST use a W3C standards-compliant browser.

Personally, I think the idea of a Microsoft Network that controls the web is a baaaaaad idea, and I will fight to keep that from happening, even if it means I have to become independently wealthy in order to buy defection from MSN. MSN, that name means something new, now - a frontend to hell.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:51 pm

That is frightening.

Thanks for the article. This, plus a few other pieces I managed to dig up will surely convince my employers.

caveman
programmer
programmer

Post by caveman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:37 am

Well.... if this is true - then stuff m$

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/article ... 58,00.html

is google starting its' own internet?

Really hope so,
a) to really make it "open"
b) take away control from ANY government
c) distribute the main DNS servers across the globe
d) Some others I can think of - but may not be "correct" right now!

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:24 am

Definitely a few more years before Google reaches the Czechlands with that...
But Rome wasn't built overnight either.