[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - setup sendmail

setup sendmail

Discuss Applications

setup sendmail

Postby Basher52 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:09 am

I've been trying for a long time to setup sendmail to work with a domain name but I just can't get it to work. I've read, don't know how many howto's and maunals but it just won't work.
I've also seen other system to use instead of asendmail that is supposed to be better(don't know how though, one said it had better security) but they won't work either.
All this makes me think that it's my fault and that I'm totally incompetent :P

Is there a utility or something that can help me with everything that need to be changed? a GUI of some sort, or something else.
I've heard that it's a pain to set this up and I can agree.

I want to get this to work before I actually buy the domain and I've seen on no-ip.biz that you under the 'Mail Options' can set the MX Record so I figured this can be a good test.

I know sendmail is a nice little program that can help me send OUT mails, but I also want it to work accepting mails.
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue May 29, 2007 6:21 am

This is actually quite simple. As mentioned you need to set your MX record for the domain to point to the host running sendmail. Then there are just a couple of configuration files that need to be modified in /etc/mail. I usually add my mail host name and domain to the "local-host-names" file and make a couple of tweaks to "sendmail.mc" after which you restart the sendmail service so the configs/maps are regenerated. One notable thing is by default in the sendmail.mc it is configured to listen on your loopback adapter only (127.0.0.1). Comment this line out with a "dnl". Also, this is on a Fedora system with the default sendmail and sendmail-cf packages installed. If you aren't running Fedora there may be other defaults that need to be changed on your system. Of course you also want to make sure you aren't blocking incoming traffic on port 25 via iptables.

I would also ask if you are trying to do this with a dynamic IP address and whether your ISP is filtering incoming port 25 traffic. If you are on a dynamic IP be aware that you are probably going to be on the RBL list through no fault of your own.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cdhgold » Tue May 29, 2007 9:27 am

sendmail does the sending you need something like dovecot for pop3/imap to do the receiving

i use dovecot for incoming mail and sendmail for outgoing mail for my pop3/imap server on RHEL4 system
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Tue May 29, 2007 10:15 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cdhgold » Tue May 29, 2007 10:53 am

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Postby Basher52 » Tue May 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue May 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:54 am

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed May 30, 2007 6:30 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Wed May 30, 2007 11:49 am

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Basher52 » Wed May 30, 2007 3:58 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed May 30, 2007 6:18 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:35 pm

The server is now up and if I've understood it all correct any user that can login can also get an email, right?
so then this would work: basher52@ddp.servehttp.com

I tried telnet to port 25 and that worked, but basher52 won't get the mail I've sent to it. And I do check this just as a mail to root, right?
just to type: mail

Oh and I also use vim for all editiing, but my includes here are via cut&paste through a windoze machine, sorry

UPDATE: I just saw this in the maillog now:
(I scrabled the IP address)

May 31 20:33:16 ddp sendmail[3128]: l4VIX8tR003128: x-666-xxx-66-66-66.xxxx.xx [xx.xxx.xx.xxx] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA

oh :( this was just when i used telnet to it
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Thu May 31, 2007 1:09 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:30 pm

Basher52
guru
guru