setup sendmail

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 am

Maybe the firewall log says I got in but what does the sendmail log say? I still got nothin'.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 am

Just starting the server up again... should be done in about, let's say 10 minutes and I'll open up port 25 to everyone.

I shows a bit of the maillog yesterday that I could telnet into it, but when I send an EMail, nothing shows up in the log.

UPDATE, I got one bad disk on the RAID1 system, I'll be back

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

This seems it's gonna take all night even though it's just two 80G HDDs and the array is a mirror. Thought that was like copy 80G of data, like done in 40-50 minutes or so
:(
I'm not gonna be up until 2:30AM tonight :P so Ill have to be back tomorrow, unless something happens.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:11 pm

back up again :)
Replaced the bad disk with a new one and "copied" the "good" to the "bad"

The iptables script is open to the "public" using this:

Code: Select all

#       Chain: MAIL
iptables -N MAIL_0
iptables -t filter -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -i eth0 -j MAIL_0                 # GW Server
iptables -A MAIL_0 -j ULOG  --ulog-nlgroup 1 --ulog-prefix "MAIL_0 - OK "  --ulog-qthreshold 1
iptables -t filter -A MAIL_0 -j ACCEPT
at least I used that when it worked on the old server.

I think though that something happened when the disk went bad. Now when I ifup ethx I get an error but the NIC still works.
I'm looking for the answer right now, but the error I get is this even when I ifdown them both:

[root@kgdubben log]# ifdown eth0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdown-ipv6: line 49: /bin/sed: Permission denied
[root@kgdubben log]# ifup eth0

Determining IP information for eth0... done.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-ipv6: line 66: /bin/sed: Permission denied
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-aliases: line 102: /bin/sed: Permission denied
[root@kgdubben log]# 
I'm starting to think that one disk is in read-only mode, but we'll see

sendmail wont start:

[root@kgdubben ~]# service sendmail start
Starting sendmail: 451 4.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 97: fileclass: cannot open '/etc/mail/local-host-names': No such file or directory
I'll keep trying to fix it...

2. (please tell me off if you think I'm spamming, but I do this for my personal "log" to use later so I don't have to ask again :P)
I created the '/etc/mail/local-host-names' file and after that even sending a mail worked :) I'm starting to wonder if setting up an MX pointer using "my" DNS provider takes some time, not as fast as a redirect of an IP address)

3. Still working on some permission errors I think I got from the bad disk...

UPDATE: 4. Upgrading to F12 and hopefully that will fix the error :P

UPDATE:5. Upgrading seems to work, now I won't get any error when ifup or ifdown :)
I still wonder why why this happened and how I can fix it, but that's another question...

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:21 pm

At the beginning I asked a friend to reply to a test mail I sent him.
He did and I got it. Now, nothing at all happens in either firewall log or maillog.
Is there a way to trace a mail somehow?
I wonder if my ISP has blocked this in anyway and is has something to do with like reading the tcp/ip packaet header or something cos when I do a telnet to port 25 I see action in both firewall and maillog, but not when sending a mail.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:43 pm

I reinstalled the whole server and now it works again. This won't be an issue when it's up and running but I didn't have the energy to try to read up on it.
Have no clue what happened since no logs showed me the problem.