When to know when to reboot after an update

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

When to know when to reboot after an update

Post by Basher52 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:43 am

As you may know I keep on the "crappy" yum for updates since I use Fedora but I want to know when I need to reboot so take use of the new programs installed?

I know that some updates that I know I don't use and is not running won't make me to reboot, but there are a lot of stuff that I have no clue what they are and there ain't no thing telling me that I have to reboot since some programs or daemons are running, like winblows do.

Or will it just work, like the rest of the OS :P :P

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:39 pm

fedora will tell you when an update requires a reboot.. even then it is not required to reboot to keep working and the prompt stays out of your way unlike winblows

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:29 pm

That is if you use the GUI updater thing. I don't reboot unless there is a kernel update and then I don't reboot until it's convenient for me. Any daemon that gets updated should be restarted though and some of that stuff is done automatically.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:03 pm

nope, not running the GUI thing.
whenever I feel like it I do the 'yum update' and that is all in console mode.
The only time I use the GUI if for setting up the NIC 'since I have no clue how to do that without help... all the text that should be written in the file for the NIC's.

So I'm kinda right then NOT to reboot whenever it's no new Kernel.
:D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:34 pm

I actually have mine set up to do a yum update automatically every night via a cron job. Here is the update job entries I have on this server:

Code: Select all

30 4 * * * pkill -9 -f yum > /dev/null 2>&1
40 4 * * * yum -y update 2>&1 | mail -s "`hostname` update" root
I used to update nightly with apt but I've been doing it with yum for a few years now without any problem... Occasionally I might have to fix something but not usually. I also have root's mail sent to my regular email address so I see every day if there was a problem with the update. I have those same cron job (at differing times) running on all my machines.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 pm

so... you DO use yum....
I'm, gonna tell

:P :P