Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Help printing PDF Topo Maps over multiple pages

Post by Void Main » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:39 am

I have downloaded some Colorado Topo maps in PDF format from here:

http://tinyurl.com/yfjscdx

The page size on these maps is 21.75" x 27". I don't have access to a printer/plotter capable of printing that large. It shrinks down and prints just fine on my 8x11 laser but obviously things are too small to read. I would like to zoom the map so it prints over 4 to 6 8x11 pages (or any other number). I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I can view the Maps in Acrobat Reader, xpdf, evince, etc but none of them seem to let me do this.

I'm wonder if this could be done with ImageMagick or some other utility? Any ideas?

To download a map click on my tinyurl link which will take you to usgs maps. Zoom in to an area south of Aspen Colorado (for example). On the right click on the "MARK POINTS" radio button which will bring up a grid. Drop a push pin in one of the boxes (Pearl Pass for example) and then click on the push pin. Download the 2001 7.5x7.5 map and unzip it which gives you a PDF like what I am trying to print.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:52 pm

I figured out a way to do it. I used pdftoppm to convert the PDF to a PPM file then used ImageMagick identify (to get size) and convert (using -crop) to split it up.