Google Chrome for Linux

Discuss Applications
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Google Chrome for Linux

Post by Void Main » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:46 pm

I "almost" want to say I really like this browser but there are only 2 things I have found that keep me from saying that. Those two things are ads and cookies.

I'm using the AdBlock+ extension which is actually a completely different tool and not related at all to "AdBlock Plus" for Firefox. In some ways it is better than AdBlock Plus for Firefox in that I can prevent certain elements of my favorite pages from being displayed, including those that have advertisements but it does not prevent those advertisements from actually being downloaded like Firefox does. I want a combination of both blockers. If I could prevent specific elements of pages from displaying AND add in my own regex URL patters of sites I don't want to hit it would be perfect.

As far as cookies go you have the option of allowing all cookies, denying all cookies, or allowing cookies only from the site you are visiting. I can't selectively allow or deny cookies from specific sites like I can in Firefox and I want that capability in Chrome. It's a must have.

Other than that Chrome is very fast and it feels a lot lighter than Firefox. I have some proprietary web based apps at work that have Java applets. For some reason this one app will lock Firefox on Linux up tight before event getting to log in. Firefox on Solaris I can get logged in and view a few pages before it locks up. In Windows it is very sluggish but it works. I found that it works VERY well with Chrome on Linux and Java. It still doesn't work with a lot of our internal intranet stuff that was developed by bone headed Microsofties but I don't expect i to perform any miracles.

Anyway, if I can get the ad blocking and cookie thing working like I want I would give it 2 thumbs up. Unfortunately those are two biggies. In the mean time I will just block ad site URLs by running my browser through Squid and identifying the sites I want to block in the squid configuration which is old school.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:19 am

I like it as well (using chromium 4.0.283.0 from svn).

"AdBlock for chrome" is good enough for me but the cookie issue is indeed annoying.

I'm still starting to prefer it over the ultra bloated Firefox though.

Copperhead
scripter
scripter

Post by Copperhead » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:48 pm

I like it as well too, and my annoyances were the exact same as yours. THat cookie thing is really annoying, and I am sure that now that it is in teh Linux community, it is only a matter of time before the adblock functionality is greatly improved.

For a first run release on Linux, I've gotta give it 4 out of 5 stars. Like you guys said, I am starting to prefer it over the bloat that Firefox is becoming.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 am

I have determined that Google Chrome sucks and I have switched back to Firefox. I don't like Ads and Google Chome is designed for maximum Ad hits. More trouble than it's worth.