Small Linux on USB with 'dd' and feature to add utils

Discuss Applications
Basher52
guru
guru

Small Linux on USB with 'dd' and feature to add utils

Post by Basher52 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I've tried some but haven't found anything yet that I could either "get" or didn't wanna put hours and hours to figure out.

I want to boot from a USB and then be able to make an image of any HDD('s partition(s)) as a backup for later restore if it fails.

It should be able to boot on any PC that are USB-BOOTable and should be able to take an image of "any" type of file system it can read.

As I've understood it 'dd' can read "all" types of file systems so for me it seems really neat and I've been using it a lot lately so I'm pretty familiar with it.

What can I use for this?

(Been looking at DSL and some more that I can't recall the name of)

UPDATE: If it has some simple 'gui' is would be even better :P

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:13 am

My USB pen dual boots full Fedora and Ubunutu distributions. There really isn't much to it and there is plenty of documentation out there for both. The easiest way is to boot the live CD image on the pen. I gotta tell you that you learn a lot more if you spend the hours and hours figuring something out rather than having someone else spend the hours and hours figuring it out and then telling you how they did it. Fortunately plenty of people have done that already. Here are the Fedora instruction:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

"liveusb-creator" is the easiest method. I also talked about it on this forum before:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/vi ... php?t=2155

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:10 am

ooops, so I didn't get the search words correct then :(
sorry, I'll try this
thx