Shockwave

Discuss Applications
Lord C
scripter
scripter

Shockwave

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:43 pm

Has anyone used Shockwave in Linux, if so how?

I installed CrossOver Plugin specially for it, but it was very dodgey, has lots of pop-ups, and when it came down to the shockwave plugin it kind of installed, but wouldnt run because Macromedia wanted to upgrade it.

Obviously VMware and the such will run it, but it will be kinda slow.
Any luck with Shockwave in Wine or any other way?

Cheers

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:02 pm

As far as I know Macromedia's only Linux product is the flash plugin for Netscape/Mozilla. I'm not a big fan of proprietary software, especially when there is no version available for Linux. I'm even less of a fan of proprietary formats. If it don't run native it really doesn't belong here. Maybe enough emails to Macromedia will get them to come up with a Linux port.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:20 pm

Well you have a point. But i love Director, i prefer shockwave movies to flash anyday, theres so much you can do with it.

Take http://www.habbohotel.com for example. a miltimedia chat room for kids, its leet!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:07 pm

An excellent example of why I don't like proprietary formats:
This page contains information of a type (application/x-director) that can only be viewed with the appropriate plug-in.
The internet is no place for proprietary formats if you ask me (which you didn't). I have the flash plug-in installed but apparently that is not good enough. It's a big steaming pile of.... (unless you know of a way to get that to work without Windows).

Microsoft loves proprietary formats and I wouldn't doubt they pump a lot of money into Macromedia. Dang, and I was in such a good mood today....

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:26 pm

my bad :/

A simple question, that might make you feel better.

What would hapen if BilL gates died tomorrow?
Who if anyone would inherit MS,a nd what would happen?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:57 pm

One could only hope that the company shrivels up and dies with him. All of the M$ software in the world should be rounded up and piled on top of the M$ campus in Redmond WA where it is burned. The ashes should then be gathered and fired toward the sun on a Boeing Delta 3 rocket so that they will no longer pose a threat to any other civilization.

Lord C
scripter
scripter

Post by Lord C » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:41 pm

nuff said :D