Sendmail Help

Discuss Applications
byrdman
administrator
administrator

Sendmail Help

Post by byrdman » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:43 am

Question for the AllKnowings...
I need your help. If I am using sendmail to host multiple number of domains, I noticed that the account 'byrdman -at - domainone.one' also recieves mail to the account 'byrdman -at- domaintwo.two'...
What I want to be able to do is have a 'contact@' address for each of these companies but don't know where to map it, and make each one different.
Please helpme - ignorant@sendmail

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:41 am

I do this but I am not sure it is the only way. The first thing you have to do is have two separate "real" accounts. You would have "byrdman@domain1.com" go to the real account "byrdman1" and "byrdman@domain2.com" go to the real account "byrdman2". You do this by adding the entries to the "/etc/mail/virtusertable":

Code: Select all

byrdman@domain1.com       byrdman1
byrdman@domain2.com       byrdman2
The above is not exactly how I do it because I need the actual email address to end up going to sevaral "real" addresses. An example is having a "contact@domain1.com" where several people need to get messages sent to that address. A completely different group of people need to get mail sent to "contact@domain2.com". The way I do this is to use mail aliases in addition to the virtusertable. The /etc/mail/virtusertable would look like this:

contact@domain1.com      contactalias1
contact@domain2.com      contactalias2
and in the /etc/aliases file you would have:

contactalias1:   user1, user2, user3@someotherdomain.com
contactalias2:   user4, user5, user6@yetanotherdomain.com
Hope this helps...

[edit]
Just looked it up on the sendmail web site and they suggest doing it the way I did above. This is probably the page where I learned how to do it:

http://www.sendmail.org/virtual-hosting.html
[/edit]