Mozilla upgrade?

Discuss Applications
Ice9
guru
guru

Mozilla upgrade?

Post by Ice9 » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:58 am

I still use the Mozilla version 1.01 that installed along with Red Hat 8.0.
I wasn't really looking but a few days ago I bumped into Mozilla 1.3 rpm's compiled for Red Hat 8, would it be possible for me to do an upgrade?

I should think so (rpm -Uvh) but I read several times that an upgrade of Mozilla was never recommended and it was better to do a fresh install.
Is that true or is it just FUD from the always-install-from-source-because-rpm-just-s*cks-afficionados?

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:07 am

Hey Ice-9, I had the same problems when I was running RH 8.0 until I came across this thread. Look for the answer in the second post from the end, but make sure first that you uninstall Evolution to resolve any dependency issues. That's what I did and later re-installed it from the RH CD. :wink:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:46 am

Evolution? That's strange because I have done many upgrades of Mozilla and never had to mess with Evolution. In fact I've always just downloaded all of the Mozilla RPMs and just did a "rpm -Uvh moz*". I'm not discounting what you say but I just don't see the connection. The worst I have ever had to do when upgrading Mozilla is rename my ~/.mozilla directory after the upgrade which is where all of your personalization and cache go. But then again I'm not up to v1.3 yet so I guess anything is possible.

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:33 pm

Well, that's what I got when I did an rpm -e some_mozilla_package honest. More specifically, it read something like "This package is needed by Evolution" or something. Of course that could be true in my case only (weird ha?) unless I didn't read the message correctly and I uninstalled Evolution lol :lol:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:39 pm

I don't see a reason for doing an "rpm -e". An "rpm -Uvh moz*" should just upgrade whatever you have installed. But again, I haven't actually tried the 1.3 RPMs you are referring to so YMMV...