Creating a Link

Discuss Applications
ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Creating a Link

Post by ThePreacher »

Here is a question that I need help with. I installed winex 3.1 recently and was able to get the games I wanted to play, SimCity4 , to work just fine. The problem lies in the fact of where it is installed. It is installed in the /root user directory under /root/.transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4/Apps/SimCity 4.exe I want to create a link to the application on my desktop but as a different user. I also have to invoke winex3 when I want to use it. Like "winex3 SimCity4.exe" Tell me how to create the link on my user's desktop.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

You can't because the /root directory isn't accessible by a user.
As root go into /root and do a 'copy -r .transgaming /home/user/' then as 'user' got into ~/.transgaming/ and edit 'config' so that the C:\ drive section points to /home/user/.transgaming/c_drive.
Finally create a desktop shortcut in your favourite desktop environment shortcut that 'winex3 "C://Program Files//Maxis// Sim City 4// SimCity 4.exe"'

Alternatively you could have the fake c drive in a location that isnt a user's home drive eg /mnt/games or /mount/crap etc. this would be better if you want to run winex as different users.
Additionally you shouldn't really put stuff like fake c drives is /root, I dunno why, I suppose because the superuser is only for sysadmin tasks and hence shouldn't really have much, if any, miscellaneous stuff in their home.
I suppose you didn't do it intentionally though, you will just have installled/copiled winex as root.
Anyways, good luck man. :)

ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Post by ThePreacher »

Ok, well how do you browse to a directory from the linux command line that has a "space" in it. The directory is the "Program Files" directory for wineX. I get this when I try

[root@hackthiscomputer c_drive]# ls -al
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jul 5 11:35 ./
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jul 5 14:28 ../
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 4 14:35 My Documents/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jul 5 11:35 My Shared Folder/
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Jul 5 11:35 Program Files/
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Jul 5 11:35 windows/
[root@hackthiscomputer c_drive]# cd ./Program Files
bash: cd: ./Program Files: No such file or directory

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

You have to escape the space with a backslash.
So your example would become:
cd Program\ Files

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Or use quotes or wildcards:

$ cd Pro*
$ cd Program?Files
$ cd Prog*Files
$ cd *iles
$ cd "Program Files"