dynamic ip address & apache

Discuss Networking
xyle_one
programmer
programmer

dynamic ip address & apache

Post by xyle_one » Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:59 am

i have setup an acount with dyndns.org and have apache running in redhat 8. i can access the web page locally, (ie- 192.168.0.25:8000) but i cannot access it from ecsyle.is-a-geek.net. i dont understand. any suggestions?? it tells me that the connection was refused.
okay, now it is timing out...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:21 am

Your machine has an off-net address. I assume you are behind a firewall. You will need to forward a port on the firewall to your 192.168.0.25:8000. Is the reason you are set up on 8000 because your provider blocks port 80?

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:32 am

Is the reason you are set up on 8000 because your provider blocks port 80?
yes. when i go the "Security Level Configuration" in redhat8 it wont let me change the securiy settings. i apologize for being noob, but i dont know how to configure the server otherwise. when i go into my router config i only get the option to turn the firewall on or off.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:44 am

Then you need a better firewall. You have to be able to forward a port on your firewall to your server. If you can't then no one will be able to talk to your server. Either that or hook the server up direct in place of the firewall (make sure you set up iptables nice and tight if you do that).

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:21 am

Void Main wrote:Then you need a better firewall. You have to be able to forward a port on your firewall to your server. If you can't then no one will be able to talk to your server. Either that or hook the server up direct in place of the firewall (make sure you set up iptables nice and tight if you do that).
shitty. oh well. i guess i will learn iptables this way

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:48 pm

If you have two network cards in your server (and a hub or switch) you can use your server as your firewall for all your other machines.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Feb 12, 2003 12:49 am

i didnt think it was working, so i took a break from the madness. this evening i typed the address into a browser and it worked. cool. i did however get a better router w/built in firewall with port forwarding before i checked it. i guess i didnt need it. anyways. could someone check this to see if it works. http://ecsyle.is-a-geek.net i just want to make sure... thanks
thanks, Void, for the links to dyndns. great service.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:01 am

I can't get to the link above, but I remember you saying that you put it on port 8000 so I tried http://ecsyle.is-a-geek.net:8000/ instead and I can get there. I can't get to any of the links on the front page though (you'll also need to put a :8000 on all your links).

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:06 am

it seems to be working on port 80 now. i do not understand... and port 8000 isnt working. anyways, i guess port 80 inst blocked after all.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:18 am

Much better! Yeah, port 80 is working. Forget running on 8000 if you can run on the default port. Much less pain in the arse.. But you might want to configure up your phpBB before someone else does for you. :)

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:28 am

But you might want to configure up your phpBB before someone else does for you. :)
yes, good idea. i put it in there and didnt know if i had mysql installed & running. so that is what i will do now.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:32 am

is mysql a pain in the ass to configure, or is there really nothing to it. i would like to be able to run that forum on this computer.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:38 am

It's not really hard at all. I believe there are step by step instructions included with phpBB. Just make sure you have the mysqld service running:

# chkconfig mysqld on
# service start mysqld

Also if you need to create a database and user ahead of time and you are having a hard time doing it from the command line you might consider using webmin. I actually use webmin for some MySQL and PostgreSQL stuff but that is about the only thing I use webmin for.

Oh and make sure you have "php-mysql" installed in addition to mysql, apache and php. And if you are running on RH8 with Apache 2.0.4x then you'll need to perform a slight modification on the phpBB source to work around a caching issue. I can help you with that part after you get your database and everything else set up.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:09 am

Also if you need to create a database and user ahead of time and you are having a hard time doing it from the command line you might consider using webmin. I actually use webmin for some MySQL and PostgreSQL stuff but that is about the only thing I use webmin for.
okay. i installed webmin. i went to servers/MySql and created a database, then i went to Webmin users and created a user (ecsyle). do i need to add any modules to the user?? php-mysql is installing as i write this. i love apt-get :)
i got in way over my head with this i think. its fun though.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:19 am

I'm not sure what you mean by adding modules to the user. Do you mean database permissions? I just created a database "forums" and a user "forums@localhost" and put a password on it, no permissions. Then used that information in the phpBB configuration.