Static Ip addy?

Discuss Networking
bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Static Ip addy?

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:12 pm

I gotmy second mobo yesterday.

My main rig is connected with a crossover cable to my smaller rig that is directly connected to my cable modem.
As you can guess, I want my smaller rig to act as a router.

I know I need to specify a static IP addy to the rig connected to it, in the hosts file, but what is the method of selecting a number like that?

Can you guys give me few pointers?
I am already searching in google for that.

Oh yeah, both machines are on RH8

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:23 pm

Say machine A is connected to your cable modem. You would use off-net addresses on machine B and on the interface in machine A that connects to machine B. An off-net IP address can be any address in the following:

192.168.*.*
10.*.*.*
172.16.*.*

Most people in your situation would use 192.168.0.1 on one interface in machine A (the second interface would have an address from your cable provider) and 192.168.0.2 on machine B. Here would be the rest of the network settings:

NETWORK: 192.168.0.0
NETMASK: 255.255.255.0
BROADCAST: 192.168.0.255

And in addition on machine B you would set:

GATEWAY: 192.168.0.1

And of course you would probably want to configure machine A for IP MASQ and configure it as a firewall so both machines can talk to the Internet. Then later on you could replace that crossover cable with a hub and add more machines, configured just like machine B except use the next address in the range for the IP address (192.168.0.3 through 192.168.0.254).

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:00 pm

I get what you say but I just got bitchslaped.

2nd NIC is nowhere to be found. :shock: and the odd thing is that its a Linksus. I never ever had problems with them. Infact the working NIC (eth0) is a Linksus too.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:08 pm

You may have to add a couple of params to your /etc/modules.conf although you normally don't have to. I have two different cards in my gateway machine and it is running a much older version of Red Hat (6.2) but the syntax is the same. For instance on mine I have:

Code: Select all

alias eth0 3c59x
alias eth1 eepro100
where 3c59x and eepro100 are the driver/module names. In addition you can add module parameters which you most likely will need to do when running two cards of the same brand/model. The two cards need to be configured to use different I/O ports so as not to conflict. Which make/model of card do you have and which driver/module does it use? I'll look up the params and see if I can find out any more information for you. Hint, you should also be able to add a new interface from the graphical menu and add the appropriate module parameters (which will save to /etc/modules.conf). HINT2, in some cases (not all) it is easier to get two network cards of different makes/models to work together over two cards of the same make/model.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:20 pm

the working NIC card is a Linksus USB Etherfast 10/100 USB100TX adapter.
The non working which is the one that is connected to the other PC is a Linksus 10/100 LAN LNE100TX.

In modules.conf i had these.

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias eth0 tulip
You might already know this. but eth0 is the working USB
NIC

And oh when i go the GUI Network conf utility i get this message.
eth0 has an alias to module tulip in modules.conf,
instead of currently loaded module Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet v0.4.26 (2002/03/21)!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:23 pm

I assume you mean LinkSys. So the one that is not working is the one in Machine B with only one NIC? Not all LinkSys cards are Linux friendly I will have to do some looking on that one...

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:28 pm

I am going in to the same utility to add a new ethernet Hardware. The list doesnt seem to have the model I have. I cant see Linksus anywhere.

I will search for IRQs now.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:29 pm

Well it should work. It's on Red Hat's HCL:

http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/?pagenam ... ls&hid=271

although it's listed for Red Hat 7 and not 8....

I will look over the tulip params (tulip is the correct module).

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:32 pm

Void Main wrote:I assume you mean LinkSys. So the one that is not working is the one in Machine B with only one NIC? Not all LinkSys cards are Linux friendly I will have to do some looking on that one...
You know what Void? I will go tomorow and exchange the Linksys with a RealTeck (not sureabout the spelling). On the box they specify that is Linux friendly.
No need to make it harder than it is, since there is an easier way out with another NIC card/.

The other PC sees both NIC cards with noproblems whatsoever. They are of different brand. Linksys and Realteck (its build in the mobo and I know it works).

Thanks VOID though :D .

After this is resolved,it shouldnt be that hard to do the final setups.

edit:oops its still early. I am going now to get that other NIC. tehehehe/

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:36 pm

Do me a favor and just try putting this in your modules.conf:

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 tulip
(but don't delete the other lines not relating to your network cards).

Then just do a "# modprobe -a" on the command line and then do an "# ifconfig -a" and see if both cards show up.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:35 pm

I went and changed the NIC card and I got a NETGEAR (not realtech. My mistake).

Its a Realtech fa311.
Of course the config file changed and instead of tulip

now the config file after I did the alteration you said it reads as

alias eth0 natsem
alias eth1 natsem

Sure enough, i went to the GUI utility and under the Hardware tab, I can see the Card. But only under the hardware tab.

That sounds like good news.
In fact, just out of curiosity I will re boot the machine now and check the bootup messages.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:46 pm

bah. AS suspected if it was properly configured it would try to obtain an IP addy. At least it shows in hardware.

I am gonna check more about that tomorow.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:04 am

Now you have me confused. Are both cards in the one machine the same make/model? If not you don't want to use the same driver for both eth0 and eth1. You have to load the driver for the particular card that you want to show up as eth0 in the modules.conf and the other card's driver would be in the eth1 alias. You will have to configure the cards and click on the box to "Activate" it, and also "Activate on bootup". Of course you will have to configure the TCP/IP information for the cards. One will be DHCP and one will be static. I was hoping you would have tried both LinkSys cards with the aliaseses I mentioned in the previous note...

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:36 pm

i took all NIC cards out from both machines and I started added them each reboot at a time to avoid this mess.
Everything so far looks good.
Kudzu found the model of the NICs with no problem.

Now I am on kudzu on the rig that will work as a router ready to finish the setup for the second NIC card that is connected to my other rig.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:56 pm

uuuughhh so close on finishing it.
The twomachines talk to each other. Now I need to see why PC A doesnt let PC B to venture on the great wild called the Internet.

fun fun fun fun fun stuff