PPPoE Bridge

Discuss Networking
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

PPPoE Bridge

Post by cdhgold »

My ISP serves my static IP address thru PPPoE. My netgear router will not let me turn off NAT as long as the ip comes thru PPoe. My Netware 6 server that I want to get the IP does not have a PPPoe client. Could I use a linux box with 2 nics as a PPoe Bridge so that it would get the IP and hand the IP off to my Netware6 server? Can anyone tell me if it is possible and if so where can i find out how.

Chris
Long live Linux Death to bill gates

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Why not set your Linux machine up as a gateway/firewall and have your Netware server setting behind it? You would have two interfaces on your Linux machine, one configured for PPPoE and the other with an off-net address (e.g. 192.168.0.1). Then you would have your Netware server configured with another static off-net address (e.g. 192.168.0.2) that uses the Linux box (192.168.0.1) as it's gateway. If you want to expose tcp ports from your Netware server to the outside world you can forward the ports using iptables.

Sort of like my sample setup on my dhcp/dynamic dns page. Now I haven't personally messed with PPPoE but I do know that there are Linux clients out there:

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
Last edited by Void Main on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold »

First of all thank you for responding so quickly. I have learned a good bit about linux regarding your posts on fsckmicro$oft.com. The main reason i want to use the Nw6 box as the firewall is because I do not know linux well enough and I do know Novell's firewall software called BorderManager very well. Plus BM will also perform other abilities fopr me such as VPN. I know linux has the pppoe client I can set it up no problem. My question is can i make the linux box function as a gateway and pass the IP to the NW box.

Thanks Again,
Chris
Long live Linux Death to bill "dickhead" gates

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I was going to suggest that you set up a Linux firewall as I mentioned in the first note and forward all the key ports that Bordermanager communicates on just to see if it would work. However, after reading this on Novell's web site I am fairly sure it will not work:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/searc ... 061415.htm

I don't believe there is any way you will be able to use Netware/Bordermanager behind a PPPoE connection at this time. I've seen reports where they want to add it in a future service release but that doesn't help you now. There are ways to use a Bordermanager client behind a PPPoE connection, but that also does not help you.

Right now I'm using Netscreen devices for my firewall/VPN but in the past I used Linux for IPSEC VPN using "FreeS/WAN". FreeS/WAN can interoperate with many VPN devices but I don't see Borderware listed on the interoperability chart. I don't have any experience with Borderware personally.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help in getting the answer you really wanted.