How do i set up an ssh server?

Discuss Networking
Doogee
administrator
administrator

How do i set up an ssh server?

Post by Doogee » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:35 am

Since i have absolutely NO IDEA about samba and am giving it up (dont say use samba) i need a bit of an alternative to share files to my network.

What i was thinking was a telnet/ssh server or something like that (what would i use) where i make a public directory, lock the client to that directory and i place files there when needed.
There will be both linux and windows clients.
This server must only acess on the Local Network and not be able to be touched by the internet (i use an adsl router hub thing which connects all the computers on a local network and to the internet)

So what do i need to get started and how will the clients recive the files from the network?

More info will be given if needed.
Thanks

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:48 am

Since you want to share files between Windows and Linux clients I'm going to go against your wishes and tell you to use Samba. If you had only Linux clients I would tell you to use NFS. Samba is really extremely easy and only requires changing one or two parameters from the default configuration to have it working appropriately for you. I would suggest buying a book on Samba. There are several good Samba books at your local book store. Really, once you have it working the way you want you will look back and say "why did I have a hard time with this, it's so easy".

I have a feeling what you are really having trouble with is understanding how "Windows Networking" works.

shira
user
user

Post by shira » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:36 am

ssh will work if you put a ssh client on every machine that you want to access files

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 20, 2003 9:46 am

If you must go with ssh to share your files between your Windows and Linux machines all you should have to do is make sure the "ssh" server/service (sshd) is running on your Linux box. You can use putty or WinSCP (nice graphical client) on your Windows machines for an ssh/scp client to transfer your files to/from your Linux box:

Putty:
http://www.openssh.org/windows.html

WinSCP:
http://winscp.vse.cz/eng/

If I have to use windows boxes and want to ssh into my servers I use "putty.exe" and to transfer files I use "pscp.exe" but you will probably like WinSCP better.

But still for a LAN environment Samba is the best (only if Windows boxes are in the mix, otherwise NFS is better).

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:04 pm

If you install cygwin it will give you a nice Unix enviroment to use in Windows. Including ssh clients and all that.