Cable stress level

Discuss Networking
Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Cable stress level

Post by Linux Frank »

Hi guys,

not really linux related but networking related, and just an opinion. Just had a guy fix our DSL service. He said we had a wire with a stress level of 16. What system is this based on, and what is it measuring? The monitoring was done from the provider with him on site connecting and disconnecting. The wire is the signal wire for the DSL input.

It sounds dubious, but having replaced the wire the DSL now screams compared to before, so they fixed something, and we are not getting billed or anything, so I don't think this was a b/s statement.

I understand this may just be an in house monitoring system, so people may not know, but having googled, I don't have enough information to get a response that leads me anywhere but computer user stress, eating disorders, cable stress relief and cpu stresses.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

Hmm, not sure. Probably something to do with the signal loss between you and the telephone exchange.
Although, I have no clue what i'm talking about ;)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Stress Level 16? Heck, that ain't nothin'! I reach Stess Level 20 every day and don't even break a sweat. :)

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN »

Well not really knowing what kind of cable it is I cannot really give an accurate answer. If it is a normal cast5 cable with copper conductors then I would have to say that it is a "BS" statement. Copper cable can be bent, stepped on, whatever and still pretty much function like normal.

Now some hollow coax act as a sort of waveguide. A waveguide is a hollow transmission medium that RF (radio frequency) are sent through. These waveguides are very sensative to dents and dings and bend radious. A bend radius that exceeds the maximum specified bend radius could cause an excess of stress or signal degredation. Now install technicians do have methods of reducing the "stress level" of cat5 copper conductor cable during an install but this really only applies to rack mounted equipment where big heavy bundles of cables will be hanging or suspended from the equipment. The stress level talked about here is really for the connector and not the cable itself. Maybe that is what the guy was talking about.

Lastly fiber optics have a very big maximum bend radius. Meaning that they can not be bent any further than a loose circle. This is due to the fact that of course fiber optics is just hollow glass and can and does break very easily. There is a big stress factor on fiber but not really a measurable level. With fiber you either have one of 2 scenerios. Number 1 the fiber is not broke and works properly. Number 2 the fiber was bent past it's recommended bend radius and has broken and does not work at all.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

I don't think he was taslking about a cat5 cable. I had the impression Linux Frank was talking about the cable companies line coming into his house.