I HATE WINDOWS

Discuss Networking
X11
guru
guru

I HATE WINDOWS

Post by X11 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:05 am

I am sick of my brother bitching because of his computer mot working with the network.

Firstly his system times out from the whole network cant ping or anything.

I feel the switching hub has somthing to do with this. basicly it is a hub, and a switch.

What it does is when packets are directed to a source the hub does not know it send it to all the sources. This is no problem as it is 5 port, and does not do it much. How it gets the sources is from when a system talks on the network it sends its IP right, and the hub gets it, so next time the hub talks to that machine, it only sends the packets to the port on the hub with that IP.

Windows likes to spoof some information and disinclude some to enhance "proformance" it appears to me that this is interfereing with the hub and causing the hub not to see the system at all. And windows cant see the hub, the hub documentation didnt mention in detail, but mentioned that the hub blocked malicous systems trying to use other systems IP's or somthing. But maybe Windows is using some strange ip address for Broadcast stuff. And later using its own IP and being identified as a hacker by the hub.

Its a Skymaster hub if that means anything, but my RFC COMPLIANT Linux/Unix systems HAVE NO TROUBLE. So that means only 1 thing IT MUST BE WINDOWS.

Anybody got any ideas or simlar cases, its no problem i dont have a way of fixing it, i will just tell my brother to use Linux.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:39 am

yeah, that's the best plan.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:00 am

My brother already uses Linux as a secondary OS and he likes it.

-------
(00:57:10) GOON666A69: food was good?
(00:58:48) CalumNine logged out.
(00:59:00) GOON666A69: HOW WUDE

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:29 am

I like windows. my favorite windows program is KDE, Gnome looks a little better, but KDE just feels more functional. Enlightemment is apparently good, and I want to try out some of the smaller Windowing programs. I have also used the basic windows of the X11 GUI, my goodness that is ugly.

Tell your brother that windows are good, but text is best.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:19 am

I do not like the Windows Man
I do not like D-R-M
-Dr Suess, origianal poem.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:58 pm

I have to agree with linux Frank. I didn't use to like Windows; I liked the command line a lot better. But Gnome isn't all that bad. Hell, I can have a dozen terminals err... command line thingies... or ....

Think I need another beer. Too much thought stuff.

dishawjp (in another place DOSman) but always Jim

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:43 pm

when linux runs all his games he will use it. he alreadys uses Mozilla, OpenOffice, ect.