Discuss Networking
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Samba AGAIN

Post by Doogee »

Okay.

Im deciding to have another go at this.

All i want to do is make a single directory shared to the local network workgroup thing, without login, with out some windows NT oops i just want it to be exactly like a "shared drive" in windows but a shared directory. with read only capabilities but the workgroup may copy the file to there hard disk and fsck with it all they like.

Which RPM packages off my mandrake CDs do i need to get and what is the smb.conf file i should use?

Thankyou in advance to anyone who wants to help me out.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf

Set all the workgroup and computer name settings.

Then go down to the very bottom and follow the example for a "public" share and manipulate it to your own directives.

Its easy, even retarded alcoholic australians with STD problems can do it.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Well as I mentioned before I only use domain configurations (Samba as a PDC or Member), but I'll make another attempt to get you going. I forget which distro you run, but if it's Red Hat (even if it's not) I would look here:

Red Hat 8.0 Samba Configuration

Here's the RPMs you should have installed:
samba-2.2.7-2
samba-client-2.2.7-2
samba-swat-2.2.7-2
samba-common-2.2.7-2

You don't really need "swat" but it's a nice web based graphical configuration tool. Once you have the RPMs installed you'll want to make sure you have the Samba service enabled and started:

# chkconfig smb on
# service smb restart
# chkconfig swat on
# service xinetd reload

If you want to use swat to configure Samba you can access it by typing:

http://localhost:901

in a browser on the machine that you have Samba installed on.

Whenever you make changes to the configuration you'll want to reload or restart Samba. This can be done either in swat or on the command line:

# service smb reload

Hopefully this will get you started. The key is to get your WORKGROUP set to the same as the Workgroup name you use on your other Windows machines in your /etc/samba/smb.conf (this can also be set in swat, along with all other Samba parameters). I am assuming you already have Windows networking working between the Windows machines. If not, get that working first.

Also, swat has an extensive help system that explains all of the parameters (but most of it probably won't mean much to you if you don't already know Windows networking in depth).

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

He runs Mandrake 9.0

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Appears to be even easier although I believe the instructions I gave should work for Mandrake as well (except for maybe the RPM names):

Mandrake 9.0 Samba Wizard
Configuring Samba Shares through Webmin

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

okay thanks i tihnk ill try that "swat" interface.

Ill reply when i get it working :)

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

oh and something else.

Will i be able to grab files off the windows boxes when i do this share workgroup thing or is that only when you use the server thing?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Mandrake lists that Wizard and Webmin in their documentation. I would look at their documentation first (the two links I provided in my last post).

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

Err that wizard looks cool, but how do i get into it?

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

holy sweet that wizard can also set up an intranet web server, i was seriously gonna do one of those.