Local Intranet Web Server type thing

Discuss Networking
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Local Intranet Web Server type thing

Post by Doogee »

MMMMMMkkkkkkkkaaay

Well i figure this shouldnt be too hard but heres the go so far.

Currently at my house we have 4 computers connected to a router thing which send us off to the internet world. i also connects our computers in a LoCaL NeTwOrK.

What i want to do i set up a webserver on my computer that runs a webserver in the background so that everyone in my family can just go on there computer and type http://10.0.0.2:6969 and it will come up with this site, running on my computer.

Of course security is an issue and i do NOT want this site to be at all accessed by the outside internet under any cercumstances as we get logged for all usage and it all adds up to our bill if we go above 3gig.
ALSO this computer is my normal everyday workstation so its not like i can completely shut it off from the internet. Peice of mind is all i want really (im already halfway there by not using windows).

Soo.. My friend (who has never set up a webserver before (apart from one of those povo "microsoft Personal Webservers that you use to check your frontpage sites with) and was really his first go with linux) used webmin to set up a webserver accesable by the Internet (i do not want this - only local network) with PHP and MySQL and he said it was dead on CeNsOrEd easy. So it cant be any harder to do one just for the local network.

Anyways ill let jo0` all figure it out. Surely it cant be too hard. My main worries are only really security and well security :P NO ACCESS BY THE DAMN INTERNET :P im sure you get the picture.

Caio ( or is it Ciao?)

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

Well your router uses a firewall to stop haxors putting servers on your machine. You told m,e over AIM your going to use a P75 with 32mb of ram, you could try Red-Hat 7.2 or 7.1 or even 7.0. Type "setup" after you have installed. Then i think you will need to do a
# service httpd start
# chkconfig httpd on
(i think works in those disto's)
then just put the web page in /var/www/html/(pages)

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

yes but that was before you said i would not need a gateway

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Why not leave it on the default port 80 so you don't have to specify a port in your browsers? Also, unless you specifically configure your cable/dsl router to send incoming internet traffic to the machine you are putting the web server on there is nothing to worry about. There is no configuration on the web machine itself that will allow people outside of your home to connect to the machine. Like I said, that has to be done in your router configuration.

And it's likely that you will not have to configure anything to get it to work like you want. Just turn on the web server service and stick your stuff under /var/www/html.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee »

ok disregard this, thanks to X11 and webmin ive got it all working. i spose it wasnt really too hard, i will eventually make one for the internet, but not for a while.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 »

as i said over the chat doogee "Its as easy as sex with a baby"