Site Admin

Sig Thang

Post by Void Main » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:42 pm

Click on image for source:

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:32 pm

interestingly tux says that using MacOS is OK (which is kind of odd), also when commenting that the browser and the OS both suck, tux says "sucks" instead of "suck" :-D

other than that, great! i will be using this in my signature on some boards i think!

also, tux is completely taken in by the mozilla prefbar! :-D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:16 pm

Basically the only OS that is no OK is any Windows OS. The only browser that is not OK is IE. I actually changed "sucks" to "suck" where you said previously and for some reason it didn't look right to me and I changed it back. I'll go ahead and make it "suck" this evening. :) I don't understand the prefbar comment. Unless you mean you can test it by changing your UA in the prefbar (which is how I also tested it).

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:09 pm

Actually I remember why I changed it back to "suck". OS is short for "operating system" and it wouldn't sound right to say "your browser and your operating system suck". Which is correct, or should it be reworded entirely? Then again if you preface it with "Both" then I think your way sounds better. I know one way should be clearly right and one way clearly wrong but english isn't my first language. Oh wait, yes it is. :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:16 pm

well actually it is correct to say that the browser and the OS suck (since "browser and OS" are more than one thing), browser + OS = 2, regardless of whether or not you use the word "both", but stick "both" in there somewhere and you're set for complete correctitudinal satisfaction! and yes, i meant that tux is fooled into thinking i am running windows if i set the prefbar to say that.

interestingly when i identify as Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.1), tux still says my OS and browser are OK, even though he can't see whatmy OS is! is it because he knows konqueror doesn't run under windows? i wonder what he would say if i were to use a browser under cygwin...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:09 pm

OK, I changed it to say "suck". You can see your user agent string in this graphic:

You can see my logic by clicking on the above image to see the source which goes something like this:

If your user agent string contains the word "Windows" then your operating system sucks, otherwise it doesn't suck. If your user agent string contains "compatible; MSIE" and doesn't contain "Opera" then your browser sucks, otherwise your browser doesn't suck. It's as simple as that.

It's based comletely on your user agent string so certainly if you change your user agent string it will effect this. I say no matter whether you are using IE or faking that you are using IE then I'm gonna tell you your browser sucks because I hate people helping to pump up the MS hit counters when they aren't even using MS products. There is no way to make IE not display "MSIE" in it's user agent string that I am aware of so IE will always suck according to Tux.

The only thing I've seen in the UA logs that I don't account for is people going through proxies that change the UA. I see a few "MSProxy" rather than "MSIE" in my logs. I need to add that to the suck list as well. :)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:25 pm

void main that is excellent! i am really impressed with the four different images! i was really pleasantly surprised to see the promote- one there! does ecsyle post here? he'll be pleased to see his owl out in the wild!

hey totally off topic but for an open source owl extravaganza have a look at http://www.openopen.cjb.net/logos/ and for all the other archived docs from the promote-opensource/openopen thing, see http://www.openopen.cjb.net/files/ to anybody interested.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:27 pm

Yes, Ecsyle gave me the other images on the Erudition site. I will add any more open source and Linux images anyone can come up with.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:27 am

You can also now call the images as "*.png" images. I just added some Apache rewrite rules to rewrite a call for /i/ua.png to /i/ua.php, etc. So it will only work this way on my server, if you want to call them as PNG files directly on your server you will also need to add the rewrite rules.

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/i/ua.php

can now be called as:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/i/ua.png

and

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/i/ua2.php

can now be called as:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/i/ua2.png

The rewrite rules within my virtual host definition:

Code: Select all

<VirtualHost xxxxx>
    ServerName voidmain.is-a-geek.net
    ServerAlias voidmain.kicks-ass.net
    blah blah

<IfModule mod_userdir.c>
       RewriteEngine on                                                                                                                            
       # User Agent rewrites
       RewriteRule ^/i/ua.png$ /i/ua.php
       RewriteRule ^/i/ua2.png$ /i/ua2.php
    </IfModule>                                                                                                                            
</VirtualHost>

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Im mostly just lurk here :(
I rarely post.