Hey VoidMan

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:45 am

hmm. the thing is void main that your site contains some fantastic linux help docs. i am very sorry to hear that you need to keep an eye on your bandwidth because i know that interest in this site will go up. i think you probably got googled so quick due to all the links in your signature over at FMS though!

will you keep the same domain name and directory structure if you move to another host/location? the reason i ask is that i have posted a link to your excellent apt-get for rpm instructions in a couple of places.

and i'm sticking with the fiApple style.

also, stirred on by your example, i installed redIce, Cobalt and SmartDark themes over at my forums but of course i had fiddled with the config files and my modifications don't show up in the new styles, and i don't know php well enough to implement them (well i did have a go at putting one or two of my simpler fiddles in the new styles) - it's harder than it looks!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:38 pm

Calum, right now the bandwidth that is being used is a microscopic spec on the radar. As long as it stays like this (or even 10 times this amount) there are no worries. If I do move it, it will be transparent and there will be not one second of downtime (I am a professional you know :)). I think it's funny when people move their sites and things don't work for a couple of days afterwards. The only reason for that is a lack of planning and organization. I have much experience in moving very large web sites of which the Void site is not one of. :)

As far as the forum style, I just hacked up fiBlack (slightly) and called it fiVoid and made it the default. I want a dark color for a base and I'm not ready to do one from scratch.

The reason I went with a dark colored site is because I've never done a dark site. Everything I've ever done (mostly for corporate purposes, but even my personal site) have been white or light colored. I guess this is a way expressing my alter ego.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:23 pm

Void, if you need to host any pages or whatever shoot me up.

My cable may be fscked up, but not the free hosting that attbi gives me for free.

It has something to do with the cables outside of my aprtmnt, due to my landloard's fscking retarded attitude but at their end they dont have a problem with their servers.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:32 pm

i Dig the themes. i have stuck with fiBlack. its easy on the eyes. Though, it more of a green brown than black. i still dig it :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:14 pm

Heh heh, I actually made a copy of it and called it VoidMain, which will be the one I customize further for the default if anything needs customizing (I don't want to put too much effort into it as I am a lazy CeNsOrEd).

shira
user
user

Post by shira » Wed Jan 15, 2003 8:18 pm

the darker themes are definately nicer to the eyes :D

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:24 am

Void Main wrote:Calum, right now the bandwidth that is being used is a microscopic spec on the radar. As long as it stays like this (or even 10 times this amount) there are no worries. If I do move it, it will be transparent and there will be not one second of downtime (I am a professional you know :)). I think it's funny when people move their sites and things don't work for a couple of days afterwards. The only reason for that is a lack of planning and organization. I have much experience in moving very large web sites of which the Void site is not one of. :)

As far as the forum style, I just hacked up fiBlack (slightly) and called it fiVoid and made it the default. I want a dark color for a base and I'm not ready to do one from scratch.

The reason I went with a dark colored site is because I've never done a dark site. Everything I've ever done (mostly for corporate purposes, but even my personal site) have been white or light colored. I guess this is a way expressing my alter ego.
i know you're a professional, boss, and also i know you're a level headed perfectionist. for some reason i have more faith in the uptime of this forum than any other forum i visit, even though this is the only one i know that's being hosted from somebody's home server (well, MoR's is too actually, but you get my meaning).

as for the theme, you know what? i think it would be really nice if you made a Void'sBS theme, that looks as if the forum is a C source file being edited in vim, which i presume is what the front pages are all about. I'd really dig a theme like that. it would go with this graphic:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:44 pm

Calum wrote:for some reason i have more faith in the uptime of this forum than any other forum i visit,
Well, since this *is* on a home connection there are many variables beyond my control that could render this site unavailable much of the time so don't put a lot of faith in it.
as for the theme, you know what? i think it would be really nice if you made a Void'sBS theme, that looks as if the forum is a C source file being edited in vim, which i presume is what the front pages are all about. I'd really dig a theme like that. it would go with this graphic:
That *would* be awesome. Unfortunately I am a lazy CeNsOrEd and I suck at graphics (bores me). My current default is a style called "VoidMain" which is a slight hack of fiblack. It would take a lot of work for me to create one from scratch. Maybe some day when I can't find anything better to do (haven't had one of those days in a long time). Actually the biggest amount of time for me is figuring out how the them system works. Creating a new theme probably wouldn't be difficult at all once I understood that. We'll see, I get a wild hair every once in a while.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:16 pm

nice theme indeed.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:20 pm

Void Main wrote: That *would* be awesome. Unfortunately I am a lazy CeNsOrEd and I suck at graphics (bores me). My current default is a style called "VoidMain" which is a slight hack of fiblack. It would take a lot of work for me to create one from scratch. Maybe some day when I can't find anything better to do (haven't had one of those days in a long time). Actually the biggest amount of time for me is figuring out how the them system works. Creating a new theme probably wouldn't be difficult at all once I understood that. We'll see, I get a wild hair every once in a while.
If you were going to make it look like the rest of your site, you wouldn't have these nice gradients and tables--I'd look like your guestbook. I suggest you stick with this current one--it looks really nice (except for the the red, it burns my eyes :?)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:01 pm

Hmmm, what would you suggest for the LINKs other than Red? The only reason I changed it to Red was because that's the color I used for links on the rest of the site which probably also burns your eyes. :) It looks ok on my laptop and to tell you the truth I haven't looked at it on my big desktop monitor. The Red/Green is sorta Christmasy, I should have picked different colors. But I'm a basic kinda guy (Red FF0000/Green 00FF00/Blue 0000FF). :)

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:18 pm

Try using gold. Also, add this smily: Image

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:46 pm

Ok, I don't know if that's gold but it's the color that was in the original style. And I've added your smilie. Does it look any better? :arg:

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:24 pm

Yup, great. Thanks!

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:36 pm

Nevermind, change it back to red. This looks too plain.

Say, are you sure you were born to do programming/networking and not art design? :).