Cable TV ain't what it used to be!

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cable TV ain't what it used to be!

Post by Void Main » Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:12 am

I remember when cable TV was first becoming popular. Before cable you put up an antennae and pulled your television signal out of the air. Basically "broadcast" TV was free, you just had to put up with a few commercials now and then which is how the broadcast television stations pulled in their revenue. Back in the early days of cable one of the main selling points was that you could watch television and get premium content without commercials. Instead of commercials being the revenue stream, you were the revenue stream. What ever happened to those days?!?!?!?

I decided to just relax this saturday and take it easy at home. I'm flipping through the 100 channels on my television and find someone trying to sell me something on roughly 75 of those channels. There are cartoons on a few channels, after all it IS Saturday. Unfortunately none of those cartoons are "Looney Toons" (ah the good old days) so they aren't worth watching. Several news channels are rehashing the same old garbage that has been rehashed 20 times over already so they aren't worth watching. Golf on a couple of channels. I enjoy playing a round of golf now and then but I'm not much for watching other people play. It comes down to watching someone catch giant anaconda snakes on the national geographic channel or an old black and white rerun of Gilligan's Island on another channel. I chose Gilligan, commercials and all.

I'm so close to calling my cable company and cancelling. I think I would be just as well off with the old antennae on the roof.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Re: Cable TV ain't what it used to be!

Post by agent007 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:49 pm

I couldnt agree better on this Void Main. Nat Geo has some excellent photography too...MTV & News has tooo much of junk running in a perpertual Loop...

Void Main wrote: It comes down to watching someone catch giant anaconda snakes on the national geographic channel or an old black and white rerun of Gilligan's Island on another channel. I chose Gilligan, commercials and all.

I'm so close to calling my cable company and cancelling. I think I would be just as well off with the old antennae on the roof.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:46 pm

I have a television, but it isn't connected to cable or an antenna. It's just a monitor for the dvd player and the vcr. On Sunday nights, I sometimes head to my mother's house to watch "Law&Order:Criminal Intent", but that's about it. Not caring about tv is a wonderful kind of freedom. National Geographic magazine is much better than the channel.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:31 am

SkyTV was a real anti-climax for me, I should've known Rupert Murcdoch couldn't provide something I actually wanted. Furthermore I only really watch the free channels, I mainly just watch CSI (not miami) and BBC News24 in fact :(

I enjoy films though, and there is very occasionaly a good one on the movie channnels. I'm going to an international film festival soon, that will kick ass.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:18 am

Tux wrote: I enjoy films though, and there is very occasionaly a good one on the movie channnels. I'm going to an international film festival soon, that will kick ass.
Is the film festival in India?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:40 am

Unfortunately not, as much as i'd like to. I don't have the time nor money :)