Boycott LinuxToday.com

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boycott LinuxToday.com

Post by Void Main » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:44 am

I used to go there a lot but I boycotted them about a year ago for being too Microsoft friendly with advertising and haven't been back since. Today I saw something on a message board about a notice on distrowatch.com encouraging a boycott. Here's the message:
We urge our visitors to boycott LINUXTODAY.COM. LINUXTODAY.COM is currently sponsored by Microsoft Corporation and displays sponsored anti-Linux content on its web site. We consider this practice immoral and hypocritical for a web site that acts as a Linux advocacy resource.
PLEASE DO NOT VISIT LINUXTODAY.COM.
Of course I had to go check it out and sure enough the entire top right section of the site "The Linux Reference Section" is boldly sponsored by Microsoft and contains such filth as the "Get The Facts" garbage and similar. So if you had any doubt before, here's the killer. Looks like Microsoft went and killed it off for us. I can't say that I am shocked that they would stoop this low. It's unfortunate that people are willing to sell their soul like this.

agent007
administrator
administrator

Post by agent007 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:21 pm

I cant imagine why Microsoft would need to do a thing like this. Dont they realize that Linux is not about a company?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:36 pm

it's hardly killed off though.

surely if tons of people post pro linux comments on the site then microsoft's sponsorship won't be worth a toss, and will simply provide funding for a platform for pro linux people to air their opinions.

when i visited linuxtoday.com just now (blatantly ignoring the boycott, ironically, since i would never have visited the site if i hadn't heard about this), the first story is about how firefox is threatening internet explorer and might be a killer app that gets linux more users. it links to the full article here:
http://stuff.techwhack.com/archives/200 ... l-release/

i'd say the site is a lo-o-o-o-ong way from becoming another windowsbbs.com

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:41 pm

It's not really that they are going to become a pro-Windows site, it's that they are taking money from Microsoft to advertise anti-Linux propaganda, most of which is false. It's slimy.