My site

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Ice9
guru
guru

My site

Post by Ice9 »

Hi all, been kind of away for a while, trying to learn all kinds of stuff.
For the 4th time in a row I completely changed my website, trying to take care of the most with css while being html 4.0 compliant.

It validates with the w3c validator so I know I'm html 4.0 compliant, but I noticed that people connect to my site using all kinds of browsers, even lynx and some other browsers which are "unknown" for Webstats.
I tested the site under various Os'es and browsers but I would like to ask you people to go over there and take a look with the stuff you use every day, older browsers, text-only browsers, Mac OS, stuff like that, and let me know how it displays, perhaps even mail me a screenie.

Could you please do that for me? I could then try to rectify eventual errors and it would maybe allow me to learn a little more.
Thanks.

ThePreacher
scripter
scripter

Post by ThePreacher »

I just used my favorite browser "Links" to view your site. It shows up just fine.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Looks very nice in Mozilla. A few things I noticed though:

- I tried to sign your guestbook and it doesn't show up when I view the guestbook.
- The W3C HTML 4.0 icon doesn't link to the validator to validate the page
- I don't understand the "Webstat" link. Should it show your site stats or is it just an advertising link?
- In your Linux tips you mention viewing the contents of an RPM by using the "rpm -qil package.rpm" command. You would need to add the "p" parameter to view the contents of an RPM file, but not add the "p" for an installed package. e.g. "rpm -qil apache", "rpm -qilp apache-2.0.44.rpm".

Site looks very nice!

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

I've got a message from my isp saying that they were working on the user-servers and that there could be some glitches now and then, a friend of mine had the same issue with the guestbook yesterday and 20 minutes later all was fine.

I never thought of linking the validator gif back to the page, I just displayed it because I was so damn proud that I got my pages validated :D

The Webstat button and the underlying code is what they use to provide me with information about who visits the site, which browser and OS they use, which country the visitors are from, etc .....
The service is free btw, and it loads fast from here too.

And the linux tips are not really tips you know, you have the knowledge necessary to make a linux tips section, I still don't :)
I used to write these things down on pieces of paper for personal use, but then I would lose them, misplace them or spill a glass of Coke on them, so I decided to put them on-line, this was I can access them from anywhere.
I'll update the rpm -qil bit tonight, thanks for the tip.

And thanks both for the feedback so far, I am a little worried that older/alternative browsers won't display the parts that rely on css code like they should.
Mozilla, Opera and IE display it OK.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum »

tomorrow i will try and view your site using arachne, opera 6.01, netscape 3.2, phoenix 0.4 and IE2.1. give me a day though, i'm busy today.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Ice9 wrote: The Webstat button and the underlying code is what they use to provide me with information about who visits the site, which browser and OS they use, which country the visitors are from, etc .....
The service is free btw, and it loads fast from here too.
I guess my question is, don't you want the stats for your site displayed when you click on the button?

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

Opera 6.01 and Phoenix should be ok, IE is gonna fsck up because of lack of css support I think.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

I guess my question is, don't you want the stats for your site displayed when you click on the button?
That would not be possible I think, because I have to enter my username and password in order to access my stats, you have to use their code "as is" anyway.
And I did it primarily to have an idea about who and what came to my site, not to display it to the world. :wink:

Edit: typo

Ice9
guru
guru

Site update

Post by Ice9 »

Thank you all for the feedback you gave me so far.
I've added links to the validator pages and updated the rpm -qil reminder (thanks Void).

I noticed that I had a lot of visitors from various countries using various OS'es and browsers and I haven't got any negative comment about distorted or displaced elements of the site, so in this case I guess no news is good news huh? :D

If I still haven't got screens with errors in a few days I will assume that my site renders fine in most browsers that are important to me (IE is not one of them).
Unfortunately I had some gripes with Mozilla not respecting some item placement (Opera 6.01/7.0 and IE did!) which I still don't get!
A pixel should be a pixel, and if I specify 140 pixels it should render the same in all 3 browsers!

But I can live with the solution I came up with so I guess it's not all that bad.

Again, thanks all.