Running on Generator Power

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Running on Generator Power

Post by Void Main » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:53 am

We had a big ice storm last night and the power is off. Luckily nobody bought my generator that I bought when we had that tornado come through this summer. Got a little propane heater and a 4000 watt generator and the cable is still up so we have all the basics. The power is off all around here. Sounds like a half million homes in the area are without power.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:28 pm

I saw that on the new here. My parents live just across the state from you. Welcome to winter!

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:09 pm

I knew something bad had happened - this site is almost never down. But during my mid-morning forum run, Void's Forums were non-responsive. I figured you fried a hard drive or something. Thank gosh it's only a brown-out! :wink:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:10 pm

Still no power, the cable was off for several hours too but it's back up now. I hope they get it up soon because I need hot water and don't need frozen water pipes and thawed out freezers.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:26 am

Wow, 2 days? that sux, you're going to have to move your freezer stuff outside!

Pictures?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:14 am

Yeah, they're not making much headway. I see there are still 453,571 homes without power and that's only down 20,000 from 9 hours ago. At that rate it could be weeks.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:07 am

Hmmm, how much have fuel prices gone up, since I'm sure you're not the only one powering things with your generator.
St Louis Today wrote:
News > Missouri State News > Story
Mid-Missouri hit hard by storm
By Matt Franck
POST-DISPATCH JEFFERSON CITY BUREAU
12/02/2006

Highway Patrol shuts

down part of I-70.

JEFFERSON CITY — What some are calling the biggest snowstorm of a generation crippled the Missouri capital Friday, all but shutting down state offices and closing nearly all businesses in the area.

The storm dumped about a foot in Jefferson City, with drifts exceeding 2 feet. But a truer measure of the storm's potency was beneath the powdered snow, where a 1-inch layer of ice made clearing roads a chore.

The ice sheet blanketed the city throughout Thursday after hours of falling sleet. The snow followed, in a storm that was punctuated by lightning. By Friday morning, many residents — including thousands of state employees — found themselves snowbound.

Gov. Matt Blunt declared a state of emergency in the area Friday, freeing up state buildings, equipment and employees to help local communities. He also has activated the National Guard.

The Missouri Highway Patrol closed a stretch of Interstate 70 in central Missouri early Friday, then reopened it, only to close it down again Friday afternoon and reopen it again later in the evening. The patrol said numerous crashes and stranded vehicles forced the closings.

Technically, state offices remained open Friday. But one building that typically has hundreds of employees was virtually empty by midafternoon.

The Capitol building was also largely vacant, save for a skeleton staff in the governor's office. One tour guide came to work, but no visitors showed up for a tour.

Jessica Robinson, a spokeswoman for Blunt, said the state's hazardous weather policy gave state employees the option of staying home using sick time or vacation time. She, like many others, decided to work from home Friday.

Cole County prosecutor Bill Tackett was among many in Jefferson City who spent hours tackling his driveway Friday morning. Halfway through the task he gave up and hired a passing snowplow.

"That was the best $40 dollars I've spent in my 47 years," he said.

Fatal snowplow crash

One person was killed Thursday night in Boone County when a snowplow blade struck a vehicle on Highway 63, the main artery between Jefferson City and Columbia, according to the patrol. Two passengers suffered serious injuries. The state trooper who responded to the crash then apparently became stranded himself.

On Friday afternoon, traffic crawled along the highway at 25 mph. For the most part, only SUVs braved the road, which was littered with abandoned cars from the night before.

Walter Grace of Jefferson City joined the stranded on Friday afternoon when his small pickup fishtailed into a snowbank. The mishap made him rethink the need to visit his girlfriend in Columbia.

Rescuing Grace was Brandon Shurtz, an ambulance worker who had just completed a 32-hour shift. Throughout Columbia, he said, ambulances could not navigate many roadways. Instead, emergency workers were using their own SUVs and trucks to transport people.

Some Mizzou students responded to the weather as one might expect: They partied.

For many that meant improvising sledding equipment. Colleen Blake, a senior from St. Louis, tried unsuccessfully to propel down a hill on the lid of a storage container.

"We're having a luau party tonight to pretend it's warmer outside," she said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:32 am

Fuel prices haven't changed any. I would guess less fuel is being used right now. Yeah there may be generators running but the traffic is way down because a lot of stores are closed so there is no place to go to work or to go to shop.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:23 am

KMOV website pic.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Here are some more:
http://ksdk5.4wmt.com/packages/template ... d024409f39

I should have taken my camera with me when we went for a drive through the country to a nearby town. Almost all trees have large limbs broken out of them and they are all sagging as if being crushed from above by the weight of all the ice. It's supposed to get up to 41 today and it's sunny so it looks like a lot of the ice is beginning to fall off of the power lines. Hopefully it will also fall from the trees so when the wind comes tomorrow it won't knock more branches down and onto power lines. My son and I drove from Collinsville (which is completely out of power) up towards Edwardsville and when we were going through Maryville there was a power line along the road throwing these brilliant blue arcs. Quite a fireworks display. It really gives you an idea of what kind of energy is really flowing through those lines. I can only imagine frying like a blown fuse if you touched one of those things.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:44 pm

Ok, got my power back an hour or so ago. Too bad I went out and bought a larger generator last night! That's how things go though and I would much rather have the power than not have it. :)

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:06 am

LOL...voids kickin it with a 10k in his backyard!