WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Some cool device!

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Ice9
guru
guru

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Some cool device!

Post by Ice9 »

The first open source media center
Gonna do some more research on this before I buy one but it looks mighty cool!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

It looks more or less like a media converter. It doesn't have any storage and must be connected to a PC of some sort to store whatever it is you are recording. I already have my MythTV box to do most of what this does, unless I am missing something.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 »

You're not missing anything but what I find interesting in this kind of products is that you don't actually need to have a noisy pc running to record tv shows.
It looks really sexy and is standalone, you record with just a push of a button and store on whatever external media you want ....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Ice9 wrote:You're not missing anything but what I find interesting in this kind of products is that you don't actually need to have a noisy pc running to record tv shows.
It looks really sexy and is standalone, you record with just a push of a button and store on whatever external media you want ....
Could you hook up an external USB hard drive and record to that or would you have to hook it to a noisy PC in order to record?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality »

Void Main wrote:
Ice9 wrote:You're not missing anything but what I find interesting in this kind of products is that you don't actually need to have a noisy pc running to record tv shows.
Could you hook up an external USB hard drive and record to that or would you have to hook it to a noisy PC in order to record?
if you read the front page it says you can record to ipod, psp, hardrive, or PC. So i'm guessing that you dont have to have the noisy PC.

I think id rather just make my own media center (something like voids PVR deal) with a noisy PC that i have lying around.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Master of Reality wrote:
Void Main wrote:
if you read the front page it says you can record to ipod, psp, hardrive, or PC. So i'm guessing that you dont have to have the noisy PC.

I think id rather just make my own media center (something like voids PVR deal) with a noisy PC that i have lying around.
Ahh, I looked over it very quickly and read it as "read" from iPod, hd, etc, etc but you are correct it's actually read/write from/to those devices. SD slots too. Does look kind of neat but I don't need one. The Myth box does everything I need at the moment.