Petition: Streaming Service of the Council of the EU

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Basher52
guru
guru

Petition: Streaming Service of the Council of the EU

Post by Basher52 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:23 am

Just a thought to help the Linux world

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/e ... _everybody

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:43 am

I think that petition would do well for any site in any country. I like some/all of the comments. :)

Jenda
programmer
programmer

Post by Jenda » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:35 pm

Well, my sig's on there.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:00 pm

Void Main wrote:I think that petition would do well for any site in any country. I like some/all of the comments. :)
well...

from my point of view, not especially to THIS post but, I'm MORE AND MORE for Linux and if someone can recall my post(s) some months ago(like 10-15 months... somewhere in here :P) my Linux-GURU is more and more for... Microsoft... YES... I'm telling you the TRUTH.

he thinks that Linux is not yet ready for the, so called, desktop.
ok, I can agree somewhat since all my companies customers dont know... JAK about computers and since a Linux installation(and maintenance) need SOME knowledge of computers... here we are :(

but "we" sure are getting better aint we :P

GO LINUX

(PS. this can be spam, donno, hope its all good though :P)

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:12 pm

Windows has its place, I guess. What I'm concerned with is that it shouldn't be every place. If Microsoft's share of the desktop OS market was even as low as 70%, we'd get more hardware that was Linux-ready, and more corporate development of Linux. In our current situation, the only effect Windows proliferation has on me is to limit my choice of wireless devices, video cards, printers, and scanners.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:14 pm

It's my opinion that Linux is currently and has been for some time far more ready for the desktop than any OS Microsoft puts out. My kids didn't seem to have any problems growing up with Linux and I provided virtually no support to them. They just used the systems. Not once did they ever get a virus, screw something up that required a reinstall or anything remotely close to a reinstall or repair. If they wanted to use a computer at home they had to use Linux because that's all there was. They did all their schoolwork on it and my daughter now does her college work on her Fedora laptop.

Also, it is my belief that installation is far easier on the average. Usually when you hear someone complain about how hard Linux is to install they probably never actually tried to install Windows on the same machine. By the time you get Windows installed and you've got it activated by calling Microsoft because you are probably a crook, Office purchased and installed, antivirus software purchased and installed, development environments purchased and installed, MS SQL Server purchased and installed and whatever else you would be installing and using on Linux then you probably could have had Linux installed 20 times in the same amount of time with far less headache.

If Linux came preinstalled with good manufacturer support then I believe it would be perfectly suitable for the desktop for "most people". Most people just want to surf and send email and don't want to have to worry about viruses and malware.