Lenovo to offer Linux on laptops

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Tux
guru
guru

Lenovo to offer Linux on laptops

Post by Tux » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:10 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6933859.stm
Lenovo is the world's third-biggest PC maker
Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on the machines.
That is big news.

Problem: Novell is the software vendor. Just great.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:44 pm

Lenovo, one of the world's biggest PC manufacturers, is to start selling laptops to business and consumers with Linux pre-installed on the machines.
Correction, they are selling laptops with Novell SUSE. No different than buying one with Windows on it in my book and I would never buy one. In fact it's WORSE than buying one with Windows on it. I would recommend people stay away from it and buy a laptop where you actually have a real Linux distro or no OS at all so you CAN install a good distro without the Microsoft tax.

I don't see any mention of Linux at all on their site. On the other hand it seems you CAN get one of their laptops with a couple of non-SUSE Linux options from here:

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html
Pre-loaded Red Hat/Fedora Linux, Ubuntu Linux; distribution CDs included.
The only thing I could find on Lenovo's site was a link to a page on the IBM site regarding the t60p:

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thin ... ation.html

The asterisks at the bottom are telling:
* Only Novell Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 is supported. The ThinkPad T60p Mobile Workstation does not come preloaded with SUSE Linux. Users must obtain SUSE Linux licenses from Novell. The ThinkPad T60p comes with DOS entitlement only and ships with a blank hard disk drive. SUSE Linux OS will be supported by Novell, while Lenovo will support Hardware, ThinkVantage Technologies, and drivers.

** Not all ThinkVantage Technologies available on other ThinkPad systems are supported under SUSE Linux.
Big freakin' whoop. If someone comes to me for help with their SUSE laptop I'll tell them the same thing I would tell them if they came to me for help with their Windows laptop.

My suggestion is to buy one of those cheap HP, Compaq or Dell laptops on the special discount because of all the preloaded crap installed, even if it DOES have Windows on it. Then reformat it and install Debian, Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo, Ubuntu, or something that doesn't have any Microsoft strings attached. Yeah, maybe a little cash went to Microsoft directly in this sale but you've got a discounted laptop and aren't hurting Linux directly by supporting a traitor who has the power to really do some damage. The best choice would be to find a naked machine but they are hard to come buy cheap.