Motherboard overboard!

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

Motherboard overboard!

Post by Calum » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:19 am

any idea how i can find out my motherboard's model so i can go and look for the manual online? i've bought a CPU that doesn't work, the supplier reckons i'll be charged all sorts of postage etc if it turns out to be working when it goes back to them so i want to check the motherboard manual first to find out if it's compatible.

so... how would i generally go about finding this out? any help appreciated.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:23 am

Mine comes up on the post data after the bios version.

There's nowhere marked on your mb?

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:56 am

well i didn't look when i had the case open because it didn't occur to me there might be a compatibility issue (but isn't there always?), and i'll have to wait for a wee while before i can reboot and check the info from the bootup sequence because i'm in the middle of running a script to process some video files...

i'm not very good at identifying model numbers either, you know how there's always dozens of numbers on these sorts of things and i never know which one is relevant.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:14 am

There are some links here that look like they could be useful:

http://my.computing.net/windowsme/wwwbo ... 11903.html

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:37 am

This is going to be fairly useless info...

I know there are utilities out there that identify your motherboard by decrypting the serial number...I wouldn't even know where to begin to look though. However, if you could find one, that certainly would be easier than tearing it all apart again.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:04 pm

thanks guys, i ended up getting the bios string and finding out the model and downloading the manual with just google, but in the end it turns out my motherboard only supports CPUs up to 866MHz, which i think is rubbish, so it looks as though i have to buy a new PC, which isn't going to happen soon.