Acer Aspire One netbook

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Ice9
guru
guru

Acer Aspire One netbook

Post by Ice9 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:58 am

I've never been a big fan of notebooks because of the lack of flexibility inherent to the concept but I've been considering getting one of those new "netbooks" lately.
I've had the chance to toy around for a few hours with the Acer Aspire One and I was really impressed!
The machine comes preloaded with Linpus Linux and I've read that it's based on Fedora for the most part.
I also read that you cold use the Livna repositories with it to expand the possibilities and install tons of new stuff includin multimedia apps.

My question now is, has anyone used one of these and experimented with it, or does anyone know Linpus Linux and eventually worked with it?
Is it really compatible with Fedora to the point where you can use the Fedora repositories without risking to hose the whole system?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:10 am

I just bought 2 of these HP notebooks (1 for each of my kids) a couple weeks ago:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/4 ... -Computer/

2Ghz dual core processors, 3G RAM, 200G hard drive, DVD burner, 15.4 inch screen, 5 in 1 SD reader, firewire, USB, bluetooth, A/B/G wireless, Ethernet, remote control (Media Center edition) plenty of ports and more for $700 each. I installed Fedora 9 in a dual boot with Vista. It has a built in nVidia video card and Atheros wireless but after installing the proprietary nVidia driver and the Madwifi driver everything seems to work perfectly. I am really happy with them so far. They are very large notebooks though because of the large screen. I personally like the largest screen I can get. If you're looking for a compact laptop this isn't what you want. I thought it had a lot of features for very little cost.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:27 am

Actually I have to use a laptop for work and I asked to switch from a 15.4" to a 12" because of the size.
At home I have nothing but desktops but what appealed to me was the extreme portability and the extreme cheapness :P
This baby takes 15 seconds to be fully operational and I very much like the idea of gadgets pre-installed with some linux flavor :D

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm very much looking into buying one of these too Ice9.

Nothing more to contribute, just that I'm on the same page as you :-)

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Well, I might sit it out a little longer, just heard from some people at Lenovo that they will ship their own 9" model by the end of september.
No definitive specs yet but I've heard they should be more or less comparable to what already exists on the market and be like 20% cheaper even.

I've been impressed by the quality of the Lenovo notebooks so far so I think I'm just gonna wait and see, unless I can't wait one more month and get myself an Acer anyway :P

caveman
programmer
programmer

Post by caveman » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:42 am

Am quietly impressed with the current range of HP notebooks.

Bought a HP530 for each of my daughters about 6 weeks ago -
(this due to finances - would have liked the 631)
Downgraded to xp from vista - additional bucks 'course.
Then dual booted and installed Ubuntu 7.1 - which is what they wanted!

Installed - booted - and with minimal effort got everything they needed
using Ubuntu.

As for myself - I have to replace my 15"
2000 AMD, 256Mb, 700 Mhz, 40Gb drive soon.
Allthough it is still going strong - last upgrade was Fedora 3 with m$ w2k.
But am still checking out the market - I am far to finicky!

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:07 pm

out of curiosity, has anyone else purchased a netbook? any recommendations?

I'd like to buy one but I'm not sure where to start with researching them.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:34 pm

I still haven't bought one because I can't seem to make up my mind. :D
there's tons of these thingies on the market now, ranging from 7" up to 10.2", with SSD or SATA hard drives, I just don't know.

I have a 10.2" with 160GB SATA HDD at home now for testing purposes but 10.2" is kinda big as far as portability goes.
8.9" is the best compromise between size and comfort as far as I'm concerned.
I think I'm gonna wait until the first models with built-in 3G modem come out and I will decide then.
If I had to buy one now I would buy one of those Lenovo Ideapads 8.9" with 1GB ram and 80GB HDD.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:41 pm

TheQuirk wrote:out of curiosity, has anyone else purchased a netbook? any recommendations?

I'd like to buy one but I'm not sure where to start with researching them.
They're all based around the Intel Atom processor, and the same Intel Chipset so performance-wise they should be on a par. Obviously you need to decide whether you want an SSD or Hard Drive based machine.

It's claimed that the AAO has a slower SSD than the Asus EeePC's
The Samsung NC10 seems to be storming the reviews, that's if you want moving parts of course.