USB 1 and USB 2

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
shuiend
scripter
scripter

USB 1 and USB 2

Post by shuiend »

I am about to get a laptop that has no cd/floppy drive in it. I was planning on getting an external dvd drive and external floppy but all of them are USB 2. The laptop is USB 1 I think. I am wondering if the i get an external drive will it work with usb 1? If not does anyone know where i can get and external USB 1 dvd and floppy drive? Also would i be able to use it in Linux?

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux »

USB2.0 and 1.1 are backwards compatible, but think of how slow as mass storage device will be on what is, at best, a 12Mbs bus.
12Mbs that is shared between any other USb devices on the same controller, you could do it if yiou must but bear in mind that it will likely be slower than 10Mbs ethernet.

shuiend
scripter
scripter

Post by shuiend »

Speed is not what i am worried about really. Just something to use as a cdrom so i can install an OS and all. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 7-3130%20P That is what i am loking at for right now. I like the fact of it being a portable cd player also. I need a new one of those.