New Server

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Server

Post by Void Main »

Since I decided to stop posting at ars (they don't like my non-ad-viewing kind there, oh well) I invited anyone who wanted to come over here and post to do so. It was mentioned that this server is slow, and I have to agree that it's getting really slow. I remember when I first set it up I got a comment about how fast it was (empty database). The database is still relatively small but I am doing a lot more work on this machine now and eating up clock cycles. It's time to purchase a new machine. Any suggestions on a good cheap replacement machine. I'm thinking abour replacing this $200 machine with another, more modern, $200 machine. Wal-mart sells those $200 Microtell PCs with a 1.2Ghz Duron without an OS for $200. It has 128MB RAM and a 40GB drive, more than enough for this site. This site currently is running a K6-2 450 that seems to run more like a 486SX25. Any other ideas/suggestions?

BradChandler
n00b
n00b

Post by BradChandler »

How much ram is in the current machine? What about the hard drive speed?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I have 128MB in the current machine and a 6GB drive that's about to crap out. I would like to go with more RAM although it starts up and runs in less than 128. The drive is slow. The machine really is an extreme piece of junk that I bought brand new for around $200 a few years ago. I would actually like to run a full Athlon chip with around 512MB of RAM and a fast IDE drive(s). I built a nice Athlon desktop for around $500 with 512MB of RAM a year ago or so. I could move that one into being a web server and build a new desktop. The Athlon screams.

BradChandler
n00b
n00b

Post by BradChandler »

I would be inclined to build something. Since it's a server, you don't need a fancy video card, monitor, etc.. Let's see, Case (w/powersupply), mb, cpu, ram, hd. Get an inexpensive mb with built in video and nic. You could do it for around $300, and that's with 256mb of ram and an Athlon.

The thing that bothers me most about that $200 Walmart box is the 5400 rpm hard drive. But still, it really isn't bad for $200.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I agree, I might just build one next week. I built my last 3 PCs from parts I bought at a local PC place:

http://www.jbtech.com/

I see they have 7200 RPM drives fairly cheap. I could get 2 ~20GB drives and mirror them. Looks like I'm going to spend more than $300 though if I go by the prices on their web site. I usually go in and dicker with them and get a better deal. Of course if I can get a much better deal on-line somewhere I could order online.

BradChandler
n00b
n00b

Post by BradChandler »

I usually buy most of my parts from newegg.com. I've bought all my ram from crucial.com. They both have good service and prices. Here are some prices I got from newegg:

mb Asus A7N266-VM $64
cpu Athlon XP 1800+ Retail $57
ram Crucial PC2100 256mb $48
hd WD400BB -CAVIAR OEM $63.5
case Antec SLK1600 $63

Total: 295.5

You can find cheaper parts, but all of those are safe bets. I hate to recommend that particular motherboard because it will only support up to a 266 FSB and I could never get the usb working in Linux. But it's cheap, and I know the onboard sound, video, and LAN will work in Linux. Sound and video worked out of the box for me, I had to download the drivers from nvidia to get the LAN to work. I really haven't been keeping up with the mb tech lately, there's probably a better solution out there.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Cool, thanks! Sound and video aren't a big deal since it's just going to be a web server that won't have a monitor hooked up, or even have X installed for that matter. I'll shop around a little more before buying..

shuiend
scripter
scripter

Post by shuiend »

I would also recommend just building a new one. I built the machine i have now about 6 mothes ago for 350$.

MB - Epox 8RGA+ -- has everything integrated and all should work with linux - 103$
CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1800+ Retail - 57$
Ram - Buffalo Technology 512MB PC2700 DDRAM - 82$
Case - FOXCONN SUPER CASE MID TOWER CASE PC-115 w/ 350W PSU -25$
HD - WD400BB -CAVIAR OEM - $63.5

All that is from newegg.com I chose to go with that mohterboard b/c it will be updateable in the future. The graphics on it is a geforce 4. The sound and LAn should work fine with linux once you get the driver from nvidia. Actually since it is a nforce board you can get all the driver from NVidia. I felt a server should have slightly faster and more ram then 256 so i went with 512. And if you really want extra speen from your cpu this mobo is a good one to OC with.

Webdiggity
scripter
scripter

Post by Webdiggity »

Go to http://www.am-comps.com. They have an xp1700+ with 256 DDR and a 20 or 40 gig drive for $259.00! Can't beat that. I'm thinking about buying one just for a nice linux server. It also comes with speakers, keyboard and mouse and onboard sound and network. Nice.