nonstandard html

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
Calum
guru
guru

nonstandard html

Post by Calum » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:49 pm

void main, quick note, i get this message when viewing these forums in dillo, thought you would be interested since your site is compliant with several types of markup:
This page uses the NON-STANDARD meta refresh tag.
The HTML 4.01 SPEC (sec 7.4.4) recommends explicitly to avoid it.
The author wanted you to go hereafter 3 seconds

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:31 pm

Do you get it on any other phpBB sites? I know it doesn't pass the validator but it seems the people who wrote phpBB weren't much interested in it doing so (at least the version I installed they didn't seem to care). I did start to work on fixing the problems but it was way more hassle than it was worth so I quit. It doesn't surprise me about the message. If that's the only one you get I could probably fix that one. It's funny I run http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/ through the validator right now and it only shows one problem, the one you describe not being the one. At any rate I didn't put the W3C compliant image at the bottom of the forums because of it. I suppose I'll have to install dillo (whatever that is) to see what's up.

EDIT: Well, I downloaded, compiled and installed dillo only to find out that it doesn't support proxy authentication so I can't even test it without changing my firewall rules. Oh well...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:51 pm

fair comment, that's the only error i get in dillo, and i think i get it in other phpBB forums, although this is the only one i 'notice' it on, simply because i remember you pointing out your site being standards compliant. in my opinion it's beneath worrying about, i just thought you may want to know in case you don't also think so.

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:13 pm

Indeed, there is a problem with one of the meta tags in phpBB2. I have phpBB 2.0.6 installed on promote-opensource.org/forums/ and each time I visit the forums, Mozilla goes into 'Quirks' mode. So does Dillo, but it has an uglier way of displaying it :D If you right-click on the browser window in Mozilla and then go to 'View Page Info', you will see that Mozilla has gone into 'Quirks' mode.

I also get only one error when running the forums through the validator myself, so it is not a big deal I suppose. Dillo may be compact and small but it lack a lot of features still. :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:43 pm

L I B, sho nuff. Guess I'll have to play and see if I can fix it. You say it's one of the META tags that's causing the problem? If it is that should be an easy fix.

EDIT: That's really weird. Seems every page I go to Mozilla shows "Quirks mode". Even my front page which is about as simple as it gets and passes the W3C vaildator 100% shows up in Quirks mode. Guess I need to find out exactly what Mozilla doesn't like.

Panos
user
user

Post by Panos » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:36 pm

Yes I know. It has happened to me before, but when it comes to XHTML 1.0 Transitional, Strict etc or even XHTML 1.1 which are validated, Mozilla does not seem to have a problem. It is weird I know. You might want to check this link out, about the reasons why 'Quirks Mode' is being trigerred in Mozilla:

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/

Also, the header's look in phpBB themes is controlled by the overall_header.tpl file inside each theme folder, but I am sure you know that already. However, right below the meta tags there is this piece of code:

Code: Select all

{META}
which I believe causes this.

Oh, you may also want to check out John Fish's forums at:

http://forum.johncfish.com

John has managed to get phpBB to validate fully but I haven't asked him about the details just yet.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:57 pm

I'll certainly heck those links out. On a side note, if you do a "Help"->"About Plug-ins" and then to the view page info it passes. Then do a view source and compare it with the source of my front page things are nearly identical. I'm sure I'll find the answer in the quirks mode link though.

EDIT: If I remove the word "Transitional" from my DOCTYPE then Mozilla will view my page in standards mode, but the page looks much different and then doesn't pass W3C validation:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/index2.php

compared with the original that looks fine in Quirks mode:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/index.php

strange. Guess I have a lot of work and learning to do by the looks of it.