The Luxury of Ignorance: An Open-Source Horror Story

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
agent007
administrator
administrator

The Luxury of Ignorance: An Open-Source Horror Story

Post by agent007 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:13 pm

Just came across an interesting article from Sir Eric Raymond......Btw, the guy is really humorous in his articles....

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:27 pm

I think he is way off in blaming CUPS in any way in this article. If he is having trouble he should blame the Fedora/Red Hat people for the way they implemented CUPS and the menu system. For the record I think the Red Hat printer tool is about as easy as it comes, but then I'm not "Aunt Tilly" I guess. I never had to go through anything like what he went through. But then I use a JetDirect and all my clients print to it. About 2 clicks in the add printer tool and I'm printing. At work we have a server act as an LPD/CUPS server. It takes about the same 2 clicks to hook Red Hat clients up to it (select lpd, give it the server and queue name and it's done). I understand that Aunt Tilly woulnd't have a clue as to what lpd, cups (bowls, plates), smb, netware are though.

Since ESR has multiple machines printing to the LaserJet maybe he should have also got the network attached version. I hate using a PC that may or may not be up as a print server. That's the old school Windows way that was a big pain in the rump.