Holy crap... there's a world out there

Place to discuss anything, almost. No politics, religion, Microsoft, or anything else that I (the nazi censor) deem inappropriate.
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Holy crap... there's a world out there

Post by dishawjp » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:31 pm

:D

Sorry for the subject folks,

But I just got cable installed and ummm, wellll, I knew that 56k was no great shakes... but I REALLY had no idea of how slow it really was!!

I first connected to the internet with a 1.2k modem. I remember when 4.8k modems were FAST and when 9.6k came out.. whew! I was one of the "first on my block" with a 14.4k modem. I've been using a 56k dial-up for years and have been more or less satisfied with it until recently. I mean, prOn isn't my thing. I like my BBS's (like this one), I download my updates and the occasional program or two. I FTP document files between my work network file server and my home computers... nothing big usually. It worked.

Because I live in a tiny village of 340 people in the middle of nowhere, dial up was the only internet access available until recently. Heck, we got more cows in my town than people; there are only 1600 people in the whole township. That includes two villages and a lot of unincorporated land.

Well, I gotta tell you, I just did an "apt-update && dist-upgrade -y" on my RH9 install and it downloaded 33MB in 1m 30sec. That would have taken HOURS yesterday!

I know, no biggie to many of you out there, but a big deal to me.

Sorry, but my wife could care less. She's downstairs watching cable TV, and I had to tell somebody.

Thanks for listening or ignoring... either way.

Jim Dishaw

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:36 pm

Welcome to the internet. :void:

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:15 pm

My first modem was one of these babies:

http://commodore.ca/history/other/telec ... puting.htm

I believe it was 300 baud.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:34 pm

:shock:

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:52 pm

Doogee wrote:Welcome to the internet. :void:
yes. Welcome :)
You can never go back now. I tried to use a dial-up connection after 2 years of DSL, and I wanted to cry. I couldn't "hang" with the slow, unreliable AOL my parents were using. I have since gone back to DSL and couldn't be happier :)

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:16 am

Nice story

I want cable.