Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fedora 10

Post by Void Main » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:06 pm

By the time anyone likely reads this Fedora 10 will be available for download:

http://fedoraproject.org/

I've been running the preview version on a USB stick and it seems good so far. Boots very fast on the stick.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:19 am

I read it and it's not out yet :P
How much faster is it to boot compared to F8? I heard from a friend at work that they are thinking of using a new system for the boot, can't recall the name though. Think it was a Swedish dude that created it, if that helps and I wonder if that is used now?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:23 am

What are you talking about? It's right here:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/10/

;)

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 pm

starting a Fedora 9 > Fedora 10 upgrade via yum now.
I know Void doesn't like yum, so we'll just call it an upgrade :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:16 pm

Well I have to pretty much live with yum these days. I don't have to like it. :)

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:38 pm

Good release.

I installed a stripped base system with KDE 4 and it's a huge improvement(both fedora and kde 4) from Fedora 9.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Re: Fedora 10

Post by insomnia » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:42 pm

Void Main wrote:By the time anyone likely reads this Fedora 10 will be available for download:

http://fedoraproject.org/
It was available almost 3 days earlier from the PirateBay ;-)

PS: I'd really like to install this on my USB-FLASH drive (8gig), what is the recommended way to do this?
Void Main wrote:Well I have to pretty much live with yum these days. I don't have to like it. :)
You don't have to use it either.
Yum will never work (unless they get a new team).

I mostly use Dag Wieers'(a geeky fellow begian) tools for rpm.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:14 pm

insomnia wrote:PS: I'd really like to install this on my USB-FLASH drive (8gig), what is the recommended way to do this?
It's really a no-brainer:

# yum install livecd-tools
# livecd-iso-to-disk --noverify --overlay-size-mb 512 --delete-home --home-size-mb 512 --unencrypted-home /public/iso/F10-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdb1

That will copy the ISO image to your flash drive, create a 512MB persistent overlay and a 512MB persistent non-encrypted /home. Salt to taste. Here's a little more info:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

I have had some problems with corruption with the GA release of Fedora 10 on USB. I didn't have as much of a problem with the preview release of Fedora 10 as the GA release so I went back to that. I suspect it is something in the GA F10 kernel...

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:41 am

So far, two of my upgrades have gone pretty good. The one issue I ran into was putting F10 on an old dell Poweredge 2300 with a PERC2/SC. It got errors on i02, which was how the RAID card was emulating. It would freeze at boot and could not activate the card. Once I went into the BIOS of the RAID card, and changed the emulation to MASS STORAGE, it booted up fine.
My laptop, on the other hand is a whole different story. Being somewhat of a novice at linux, I have always had a laptop that I have used as a linux machine. I rarely keep any data on it, so when a new version comes out, it gets a fresh install. I would like to report that this is the very first time that I have put a release of RH/Fedora on one of my laptops and everything so far has just worked!! Without any major configuring. Usually, the wireless would not work out of the box and I would have to use ndiswrapper or something like that. It seems that against a lot of forums, Network Manager has made connecting to my wireless AP's really easy - even with WPA2/PSK.
I also had absolutely no trouble with the desktop effects working perfectly out of the box also. Last time I had to mess with xorg to get working on the video card.
More to follow as I dig through my new installs/upgrades.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Void Main wrote:
insomnia wrote:PS: I'd really like to install this on my USB-FLASH drive (8gig), what is the recommended way to do this?
It's really a no-brainer:

# yum install livecd-tools
# livecd-iso-to-disk --noverify --overlay-size-mb 512 --delete-home --home-size-mb 512 --unencrypted-home /public/iso/F10-i686-Live.iso /dev/sdb1

That will copy the ISO image to your flash drive, create a 512MB persistent overlay and a 512MB persistent non-encrypted /home. Salt to taste. Here's a little more info:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

I have had some problems with corruption with the GA release of Fedora 10 on USB. I didn't have as much of a problem with the preview release of Fedora 10 as the GA release so I went back to that. I suspect it is something in the GA F10 kernel...
Thanks.
Since doing this from Fedora 8 still didn't work (I only installed F10 at work), I installed that same package on good old Debian etch (using alien) and that did work :)

I also had to increase the --overlay-size-mb (1gig) to update everything.

I'd like to reinstall it on ext2 though (using a second partition with grub on the first fat16 one).

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm

The one issue I ran into was putting F10 on an old dell Poweredge 2300 with a PERC2/SC. It got errors on i02, which was how the RAID card was emulating. It would freeze at boot and could not activate the card. Once I went into the BIOS of the RAID card, and changed the emulation to MASS STORAGE, it booted up fine.
I have been having similar issues with the LSI logic version of the same card where did you find this info?

Hopefully this solves my issue when I get home to try it

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:41 am

I am trying to find the error I was getting and I can't remember the google string I used to search, but if I see it, I will post.

I do know for sure that you have to get into the BIOS, or configuration utility of the RAID card. For Dell and its PERC card, its typically been <CTRL> + M while its spinning up the drives. Can't be sure on the LSI cards.
Once I got into the configuration utility, I went into OBJECTS>ADAPTER>EMULATION. I hit enter and my two options were <I2O> & <MASS STORAGE>

here is where I got the idea. It talks about FC6 and boot problems, but it game me the idea because my poweredge is 7 years old.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... c6-550800/

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:23 am

LSI is also ctrl-m .. i had it already set to MASS STORAGE ..

problem I'm having I think is more LVM related .. by default Fedora creates the / and swap on LVM but on boot after install ti can't find VolGroup ..

going to t/s more LVM tonight and if no go will reload without using LVM

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:22 am

after a reload with no lvm I'm still getting issues .. same as here

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1122779

anyone here have suggestions?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:33 pm

I upgraded my main desktop, laptop, and this web server (F7->F10) today. So far so good.