Site Admin

Fedora 12

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:03 pm

Is out....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:13 am

If you were using the kmod-nvidia from rpmfusion with Fedora 11 you can use it in 12 too but the modules are still in the testing repo so you'll have to enable your rpmfusion updates testing repo and take a look at this:

http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia

Drivers work like a champ with my 6600 GT just like they did with Fedora 11.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:39 am

Finally got VMware Server 2.0.x working. Here is the patch and the script (made one for 2.0.1 and 2.0.2) to apply the patch:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/vmware/

I hacked together parts from other peoples solutions to get this to work (modified Josh Lehan's script). I'm not sure why but I have a problem with the mouse not keeping focus except for the upper left 640x480 portion of the screen. This is the case in both VMware server 2.0.1 and 2.0.2. Must be something with the new kernel. I have found other people talking about it but no apparent solution.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Just figured out how to prevent the high CPU utilization in an XP guest using KVM. I guess that means there is no more need for VMware. The secret is to disable ACPI in the XP installation. The first post here explains how to do that:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/for ... dId=652377

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:00 am

what are the overall impression of fedora 12? trying to decide whether to update my fedora 10 boxes or not .. was not impressed with firefox in fedora 11

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:57 am

There are a lot of updates and differences over F10 and I have to admit I really like it. I'm actually using Google Chrome right now (trying it out). The only thing I don't like about Chrome so far is the cookie management features aren't nearly as good as Firefox.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:18 pm

what are some of the differences you see in 12 that would make it worthwhile update?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:33 pm

The main reason it would be worth upgrading is F10 will no longer be getting updates. Other than that if you are happy with F10 there would be no reason to upgrade. You could always install it in a VM or a spare machine to see what you think.

The release notes always has what's changed:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-n ... n-US/html/

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Any more stability in F12 lately? There gotta be...

I tried F12 a couple of months ago and a small thing like FF kept crashing on every other page I tried to look at until later when it wouldn't even start at all since it kept trying to open up the same page, thus making it crash again, and I couldn't stop it. That made me think to do an upgrade to F11 later... and as you can see... I didn't lol

Now I wanna use ext4 and F10 can use that as "test" only and since F12 is newer the file system should be even better.

What ya think?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Heck, Fedora 13 is about ready to release. Where have you been? :) I am running Fedora 12 on several machines with no problems at all (even this Void Main web site has been upgraded to it). I have been using Google Chrome rather than Firefox for a few months now though.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Void Main wrote:Heck, Fedora 13 is about ready to release...
I know :P

Void Main wrote:...I have been using Google Chrome rather than Firefox for a few months now though.
Yeah I read that, but when you first tried FF, did that work without any flaws at all?

But OK, if you says it's all OK, then I'm gonna upgrade to F12.
Thanks
(Gonna take a partition-bkup first though :P)

...and:
So you are alive :) I haven't seen you in here in months so I was starting to think you we ill or something.
Good to see you're live and kicking

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

Well, as far as I know I still may have problems with the VMware thing which is what has prevented me from upgrading to 12 on my laptop. I haven't looked into it in a while though. As far as Firefox I don't recall any specific problems that a profile delete wouldn't fix other than it feels like an 800 pound gorilla compared to Chrome. There is only one feature missing from Chrome that I *REALLY* *REALLY* *REALLY* (did I say *REALLY*??) miss and that is the AdBlock. Chrome has an AdBlock but it doesn't work the same as the one on Firefox. It doesn't actually prevent the Ad sites from getting your click, it only prevents you from seeing them. That's not good enough for me. So in the mean time I run my browser through a Squid proxy server and block Ad sites there.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Void Main wrote:...It doesn't actually prevent the Ad sites from getting your click, it only prevents you from seeing them. That's not good enough for me. So in the mean time I run my browser through a Squid proxy server and block Ad sites there.
hehe so you're like me then :P
On my winblow machine I use PeerGuardian to block lots of IP addresses and it takes like 15 minutes to get into one of our countries biggest online news paper, 'cos it just won't let you see OR!! let the news paper to get paid for the people viewing the adverts.

mwahaha :P

...and that they usually creates lots of cookies :(
but I don't get that now :)

PS.
Just made a partition copy and starting to upgrade to F12 :)
But I gotta google on what 'Replace existing Linux system" means when asking for the partitioning on the boot drive. Is that replace and do the Fedora Standard or to replace old OS and use the SAME setup.
I just can't remember what I did the last time I upgraded to F10 :(