[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - how to DEcrease disk size

how to DEcrease disk size

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

Re: how to DEcrease disk size

Postby Basher52 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm

DOH!!
am I stupid or what lol
well now since I don't have grub installed anymore, can I install that on the new disk with my repo or the CD?
and THEN :P use grub-install
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:34 pm

Yes you can, Boot in rescue mode, mount your file systems, chroot to the new file system and install package from CD. Otherwise boot your old drives, mount your root file system from the new drive, chroot into it and yum install grub.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:00 pm

I mounted the DVD (with some problem due to bad memory)
I chrooted my old system, but when "inside" that I can't "see" the DVD

If I mount the DVD using the old disk then I see the DVD files, but I need to do that when chrooted to the new disk, right?
but when I'm chrooted to the new disk, the /dev only has 'null' as a device listed.

What am I doing wrong here, I've done this before I think, but now it just won't work.
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:13 pm

Worst case you could rsync it again and it should only copy the files that are missing or changed.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:28 pm

MAN!!!! I sure am stupid today.
Why didn't I think of that. That would get the grub to be installed again.
DOH!!

thx man
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Basher52 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:41 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Basher52 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:51 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Basher52 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Basher52 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:01 pm

I don't have a good picture of exactly what you are doing but if I were doing this I would do what I said at the beginning.

- Copy the file systems over to the new drive
- update the fstab on the new drive to reflect what the new device names (or UUIDs if you are using those instead of device names) and file system types (if different). If moving to different file system types you might also have to make sure the initrd includes proper modules for that new file system type
- update the grub.conf on the new drive to reflect the new root device (or UUID if that is what you use) in the kernel params
- change/add the new device name (if different) to the device.map file under your boot/grub on the new drive
- remove old drive and boot into rescue mode from CD/DVD. Mount file systems and chroot into the new environment and run "grub-install <appropriatedevicename>".

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure your boot partition on the new drive is toggled bootable in fdisk. I've never had a problem that I recall doing any of this and have done it several times in the past.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

The latest thing I got is that the grub.conf was relating to UUID so I changed that to /dev/sda2.
Then it started to boot, but then lots relating to this UUID same and it stopped booting.
I'm gonna keep fiddling with this tomorrow and also try to remove the UUID use.
The weird part is that 'df-h' show "normal" devicename's on THIS machine but not another one also using F12.

thx
Basher52
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Basher52 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:15 pm

As usual you are correct.
I didn't think of this UUID since the webserver that also (still) uses F12 uses UUID and I see that in the 'df -h' but I don't see that in 'df -h' on this server
and that made me not to think of it. I changed to the correct UUID in fstab and grub.conf and it started OK.

MANY thanks once a again :D
Basher52
guru
guru

Previous

Return to Fedora/Red Hat