apt question

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

apt question

Post by Calum » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:03 pm

just wanted to get your thoughts on this: i just installed apt and synaptic, as per the instructions here and here's what happens when i try the mplayer-skins example:

Code: Select all

[root@localhost root]# apt-get install mplayer-skins
Reading Package Lists... Done
Collecting File Provides... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
  mplayer-skins: Depends: mplayer (> 0.90) but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages
i tried it from the command line only after i tried it in synaptic and found that the 'proceed' button didn't become active as stated. of course when i have more time i'll poke more into this...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:12 pm

It's kind of humorous actually. It used to work without a hitch but I think they have updated mplayer in the repository and not the mplayer-skins. When I wrote the tip it worked flawlessly but it now does not. It's funny that this is the *only* problem I have ever seen with the apt repository to date. Unfortunately it was the one thing that prompted me to write the tip on apt and the one example I used in the tip. You can still install mplayer. You can also download the skins RPM and force it but apt-get doesn't like the current combination. I was hoping they would have fixed the repository by now. Maybe I should send them a note asking if they can fix it. I didn't want to be a pest though. Maybe you would be willing to ask them nicely to fix the mplayer-skins package at freshrpms.net?

Neuro7
n00b
n00b

Post by Neuro7 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:28 pm

I followed the same instructions posted by void main and it worked like a charm. I really like the synaptic interface. I also had the same problem when trying to get the mplayer skins.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:17 am

Void Main wrote:It's kind of humorous actually. It used to work without a hitch but I think they have updated mplayer in the repository and not the mplayer-skins. When I wrote the tip it worked flawlessly but it now does not. It's funny that this is the *only* problem I have ever seen with the apt repository to date. Unfortunately it was the one thing that prompted me to write the tip on apt and the one example I used in the tip. You can still install mplayer. You can also download the skins RPM and force it but apt-get doesn't like the current combination. I was hoping they would have fixed the repository by now. Maybe I should send them a note asking if they can fix it. I didn't want to be a pest though. Maybe you would be willing to ask them nicely to fix the mplayer-skins package at freshrpms.net?
well i actually have mplayer rpms and so on downloaded (but not installed), i just wanted to try your example to see if it worked.

Actually i am not going to install mplayer until i can figure out the correct way to make it into a DVD player with a GUI. not sure what other packages are required you see and what order they should be installed in. i was actually trying to think of an mplayer related package that would force apt to install everything required for this setup without any intervention from me, but i didn't know what package (if any) would bring this about.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:30 am

Calum, I installed mplayer with apt-get a while ago, it came with a gui, I didn't select anything other than the mplayer package.

Also, I tried 3 different dvd's, a Joe Satriani concert, Ice Age and Monsters Inc.
They all played fine.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:03 pm

Yeah, just do an apt-get install mplayer and you will probably find just what you need (minus the extra skins). NOTE: I have changed my tip to just install MPlayer rather than the MPlayer-skins until they fix the skins RPM.

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:20 am

Yep. I had the same exact problem.
The skins were simply a no go.

I knew Mp was in there because in shell MP would start but with out having any skin.

I went and searched for skins on my own and problem solved.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:51 am

well i just wanted a gui so using gmplayer to invoke mplayer works fine, although i tend to prefer bigger skins because i have not so good eyesight.

also this apt turns out to be a double edged sword when it comes to mplayer because i think support for some codecs requires a recompile from source... (i could be wrong, haven't properly read up on it yet)

all in all this apt thing works great.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:40 am

Which version of mplayer does the Red hat repository contain?
If you actually wanted to install some more exotic codecs and, instead of recompiling the whole thing, you found some .src.rpm packages to rpm -Uvh mplayer, wouldn't that also work?

I found several sources with .src.rpm packages for mplayer but I'm at work currently and can't verify version numbers to see if they're ancient or recent packages, on rpmseek among others ....

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:50 pm

This doesnt relate to the issue at hand, but it is about apt. I followed void mains instructions, and when it worked i had the biggest smile on my face.
It was just cool.
I am such a nerd :D
I will learn linux. I need to stop running back to my mac. Linux is too much.. fun.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:26 am

Give me your mac :) and you wont have to worry about running back to it.