How do I get mplayer to work?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
hollywood
user
user

How do I get mplayer to work?

Post by hollywood » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:04 am

I found this site on another forum and went through and installed mplayer with synaptic which is great. I've been trying to get it installed for months and was about to give up till I say this. Now I have the damn thing installed but when I go to play a video it still reads that there is no capable veiwer installed to display then the file name. What am I missing here I can't find mplayer in any of the menu's. but it does seem to be in /etc. And synaptic says that it is installed.
Please help
Hollywood :?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:22 am

On my system the menu item is under the "Red Hat menu"->"Sound & Video"->"More Sound & Video Applications"->"Movie Player".

I never start it from the menu though. There are two executable files that should be installed "mplayer" and "gmplayer". "gmplayer" is the one that is called when you click the menu item mentioned above. You can run these commands from the command line as well. To get it to actually work you might run "gmplayer" and then right click your mouse anywhere on the GUI which will bring up a menu. Click "Preferences" then the "Video" tab at the top, then select "X11". Once you do this it should save this setting for both gmplayer and mplayer. These two commands can also be run from the comand line or you can associate them with all of your video file types so when you click on them they load in /usr/bin/gmplayer.

You'll also want to download all the codecs from the main mplayer web site and extract into your /usr/lib/win32 directory and then you should be able to play almost any audio/video content.

Here is the page with all the codecs:
http://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/

Good luck. MPlayer is an *excellent* utility.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:38 am

yes take all of that advice.

also, it's worth associating all the supported file types with mplayer or gmplayer if you use kde (you can probably fdo it in gnome and with other file manager apps too) by right clicking a file of a particular type, then selecting "edit file type" then make sure gmplayer is at the top of the applications list, and make sure it's set to open in an external viewer.

Just makes it easier if you want to doubleclick a file and open it in a particular app in kfm.

hollywood
user
user

Post by hollywood » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:37 pm

Thanks for all of the help Guys but I give up for the life of me can't get this damn thing to work. :cry: The guy that had a post on directions to install apt and synaptic were you could copy and paste was the best help but I quess I just can't get a grip on this linux thing. I'm not sure what the hell I'm doing wrong but I just can not seem to get anything to work. Is it possible that I have a bad installation of RH9?
Thanks again Hollywood

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:14 pm

Did you select the "X11" video device as I mentioned? It would be helpful if you could give us a little more to go on. Like *exactly* the steps you are doing and *exactly* the error messages you are getting. I would suggest downloading a video clip from somewhere that I can also download so we are working from the same file. Then open up a shell window (right click on your background and click "Terminal"). Then play the file from the command line using mplayer or gmplayer by:

$ mplayer filename.ext

This will produce a lot of messages that should indicate what your problem is if any. Copy/Paste those messages into a post on this forum and I can probably help you further.

hollywood
user
user

Post by hollywood » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:33 pm

Thanks for the help Void Main I quess the next time I should make sure the file I'm trying to open isn't locked :oops: . I played around with what you advised on and associated the files to mplayer app. Now when I click to open a video it works :oops: .
thanks again just when I'm ready to ditch Linux I figure out whats wrong (with help from peolpe like you). Bare with me I'll get a handle on this stuff sooner or later :D
Thanks Hollywood
P.S. you are right mplayer is very nice

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:36 pm

Great. Glad to hear you got it working!

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:42 pm

Hi All,

On a marginally related note to this thread...
On my system the menu item is under the "Red Hat menu"->"Sound & Video"->"More Sound & Video Applications"->"Movie Player".

In the dark days (not much over a year ago) when I was using an OS best known for viruses and blue screens, I was able to add and remove programs from the start menu with DOS. If I remember correctly, the directory was:

C:\windows\some_path_or_another\startm~1

Where are the files Linux (RH9 specifically) stored for these menus? A lot of installs seem to neglect to make these additions. Most of the time this is no problem for me, even in X I still use terminal windows for most things and that little "commander" applet on the panel is really nice. But it would be nice, when showing Linux to potential converts that Linux can be just as annoyingly pointy and clicky as that other OS.

Just something I've been wondering about. I've tried using "locate" to find these entries but can't seem to find where they're hidden.

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:26 pm

In KDE it's easy as there is a menu editor. In Gnome it's a little more difficult. Red Hat turned off Gnome menu editing for some reason but you can get it back if you follow the directions in the "Menu-editing in RedHat 9" section of this URL:

http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/repository.html

Menu-editing in RedHat 9

* To enable menu editing per user config (via nautilus), you need to open a terminal and do the following:

su -
<give root password>
cd /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules
cp default-modules.conf default-modules.conf-no-menu-editing
cp default-modules.conf.with-menu-editing default-modules.conf

For any user you want to have the right to edit their menu, you also need to do this as the user:

cd ~/.gnome2/vfolders
cp /etc/X11/desktop-menus/applications.menu applications.vfolder-info
* When gnome-panel is restarted (via logout/login or kill) the user will be able to see the changes they have made to their menu.

Then you can add things by right clicking in the menu or opening Nautilus and browsing to the menus via the "Go" button at the top and then right clicking and adding launchers. There is also a directory "/usr/share/desktop-menu-files" that contain the menu folder definitions, etc..

junglemike
n00b
n00b

Post by junglemike » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:24 pm

First, i apologise being not exactly on topic. However, i hope that you can help me.
I'm using Windows2000 (again, sorry :( ) I've been using mplayer over a year and i find it very powerful player. In fact, it is the only player that can play mpeg-4 on my old laptop (P-II-233mhz).
I want to find a simple gui. I've seen many advanced gui's for linux or macos, but i didn't find anything sutable for windows. All i want is only very basic things, like volume control, scrollbar, pause button, etc...
Well, i've been searching to no avail for a long time, till i found this screenshot:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/images ... ows-01.jpg
This screenshot is situated at official Mplayer homepage.
It looks exactly what i need. And it is for Win32!. I also guess that it is called "gmplayer" or something like that - that's why i'm asking you because you mentioned this "gmplayer". I looked at all avalable guis at Mplayer hompage but i can't find it . I've also googled for this gui w/o any results.
Does anybody have any information where i can find this gui for Win32?
TIA

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:43 pm

This site is for Linux help only, can't help you with Windows versions, sorry about that. Maybe I can interest you in some Linux? :)

http://www.linuxiso.org/

junglemike
n00b
n00b

Post by junglemike » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:32 am

:D . I have dual boot between Mandrike/WinXP on my big pc. So i'm a linux user too 8) . I would be glad , but it is completely impossible (to my knowledge) to set up linux on this old laptop. It is very small and old laptop (P2-233 128mb ram, 10gb harddisk, 2mb videoram) it doesn't have built-in cdrom nor floppy. So i'm stuck with Win 2000 that is preinstalled there :( :( :(

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:57 am

With the exception of the drive issues, that computer should run Linux just fine. Now you've got me curious. There must be a way to install Linux without using a cd or floppy. Maybe "burning" an iso to a partition?

Of course you could always go out and buy an external cd drive, run an install, and then return the thing. You didn't hear this idea from me :wink:

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:41 am

If the laptop has e network card you can do a pxe boot and do a network install.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:10 am

Yeah, I have 3 laptops. The oldest one is a Dell Latitude with a P90 processor, 64MB of RAM, 500MB hard drive, no CD-ROM and I have Red Hat installed on it (older version, 6.x). Actually I may have Debian on it now, haven't touched it in a while (working on a P90 with 640x480 and a 500MB drive is too painful for me). I believe that even though this particular laptop had a floppy it had trouble booting the Red Hat installation floppy. I remember haven't to come up with an ingenious way to install on this particular thing. If I remember right I could get Tom's boot/root floppy to boot and it allowed me to create a floppy sized partition on the hard drive where I dd'ed the Red Hat network install floppy onto that partition and set it active which allowed me to boot it from HD where I could do a network installation. Of course that was the most painful installation. You could probably do something similar with yours but I would at least try and borrow a floppy drive if not a CD-ROM drive to do the install. I didn't care if mine turned into a paper weight where your laptop should actually still be quite useful.