gnome default login gone

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

gnome default login gone

Post by Linux Frank » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:06 am

Hi All,

Just to let you know, I updated my system and installed some new packages (DVDrecord was the one I think) that called for lots of dependacies.

My problem was I started to get problems viewing my home directory in gnome. I logged out to let another user on and never got back in under gnome, Until now.

When selecting Default for login I got TWM come up.

/etc/sysconfig/desktop was set for "gnome" but the result of

$ switchdesktop gnome

was that gnome was not installed. KDE and other desktop environs came up fine when selected.

SOLUTION:

# apt-get install gnome-session

Maybe this got removed during the packing install. Not sure why it vanished but once it came back I had no problems (crosses fingers). Also as I did not make any fundamental changes to my system my old configuration popped up.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:34 am

That's very odd. What version of RH/FC are you running again? dvdrecord is actually not necessary on FC3 (and I think FC2) because it's functionality is built in to the included cdrecord (cdrtools). I think this is something that the Fedora folks have done on their own. I don't believe it's standard across all distros (but it should be).

Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

Post by Linux Frank » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:34 pm

I'm using FC2.

I was doing some research, and by all accounts DVD recording capability is really a little screwed up right now. Apparently the guy who wrote cdrecord sells a DVD compatible version which is proprietary, so someone has taken to updating cdrecord with DVD capability. There are also several other programs, and they are not a unified base. However I believe K3B has integrated all these factors and more and basically uses what is necessary to get the job done.

That aside the issue here is the Gnome login strangeness. Well for a start things like this tend to happen when I use synaptic. I don't really like using synaptic at all, but I'm not good on command line searching, and that is one area the GUI can leave CLI behind. I can't browse with the same ease and absorb as much prospective information.

So I am wondering whether I accidentally clicked a file to remove and did not pay enough attention (late and tired). Of course it could be a genuine problem, which is one reason I posted this topic. So that others could find it, as I found nothing about this anywhere.