[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - I need some help writing a simple graphical app

I need some help writing a simple graphical app

Discuss Programming

I need some help writing a simple graphical app

Postby Void Main » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 pm

This should be *very* simple for someone that knows what they are doing. I currently have something started in pygtk that has roughly the look I want. Problem is I have never programmed in Python and haven't done much with GTK either so I am a complete novice at what I am attempting to do.

Ok, first off let me tell you what I am trying to do. I have this large LED display (5 inch high numbers) that we are using to record elapsed time with starting line and finish line sensors. When I get my cable I will be able to capture these times off of the serial port (Chronomix format). I eventually want to write a database app that will record these times automatically into the appropriate record but for now I just want to get something extremely basic set up.

For now I just want a simple display of times as they come in with the most recent time going to the top of the list. I also want to record these times to a file but that part will be easy. Here's a screenshot of what I am after from the program I have so far:

Here's the script:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/scr ... ed_time.py

Notice the times are just hard coded. What I would like is the equivalent of a "tail -f filename" inside the program and as numbers are read the display is updated. Latest time on top pushing the older times down. I haven't been able to figure out how to set up a loop that will wait on input and then update the times when input is received.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. I am using an LCD font that I got from here:
http://www.spinwardstars.com/scrfonts/lcd.html
The font isn't needed to make the program work though.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ZiaTioN » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:42 pm

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks. I thought about using PerlTk but was hoping to use this exercise to learn something about Python and a little more about GTK. I've tried to sit down and learn Python in the past but it's just so much different that I don't know if I really WANT to learn it. I am certainly much better with Perl and I have even written a few PerlTk apps in the past but I do very very little GUI programming.

Having said that I am rusty at best with the Tk part of it. In the PyGTK program I used a text buffer with scrollbars rather than a label. My thought was I could just keep inserting text and be able to look back on previous times by scrolling down, not that the times by themselves would mean anything beyond 2 or 3 from the latest. In your example when the times update the window disappears and then reappears. I wonder if there is a way to smoothly scroll the text down without the window disappearing? I'll play with your PerlTk start and see what I can come up with. I know I'll make better headway than I will with Python because I am already proficient with Perl which will make things go a lot faster on the database backend.

Thanks again!

P.S. I also notice that in PerlTk the edges on the LCD font I am using aren't nearly as smooth as they are in PyGTK. I am using pango in PyGTK. I wonder if there are any Tk options to make the font look nicer? This is the font param I am using now: "-font=>['lcd', 150, 'bold']"
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby worker201 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:29 pm

What is this for, anyway? You trying to set something up for a race? Like a Pinewood Derby? Helping the kids?
worker201
guru
guru

Postby ZiaTioN » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:34 pm

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:49 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:39 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:58 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:33 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Void Main » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:05 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ZiaTioN » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:22 pm

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:09 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ZiaTioN » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:20 pm

No problem.

Sounds like what you want is very possible. I would be happy to help with any of the perl programming you need. I am very familiar with Tk GUI creation, database programming and web scripting. Also socket programming, threaded models, etc, etc, etc... Pretty much anything you can do with perl I am familiar with.

Let me know if you run into any specific issues or need any help with any of it.

Also remember the "" web application I wrote for you a while back. That would be a good reference for you for your database portion.
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:41 pm

I actually do Perl and PHP database and web programming all day every day at work which is why I have to motivate myself to do things like this. I just don't feel like doing it at night. I guess the motivation is that it is something for me rather than for someone else.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby ZiaTioN » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:07 pm

So how about that final application? I did not put this much time into helping you just to get stiffed on seeing the final product! LOL....

Just kidding, but seriously have you finished it yet?
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Next

Return to Programming