amarok and iPod nano - informative post

Discuss Applications
Ice9
guru
guru
amarok and iPod nano - informative post

Post by Ice9 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:29 pm

Today had some issues with gtkpod not starting up due to a dependency problem with a library.
I gave amarok a shot since it boasts iPod compatibility as a feature.
To cut a long story short amarok completely screwed up the itunes database and my iPod refused to play at all after loading some new files, so you might wanna stay clear of amarok to update an iPod nano (found a few posts on the net mentioning problems between amarok and the nano), for other models I cannot tell since I only own a nano.
I finally found a version of gtkpod I could install and was able to restore my database and can now access my music again.

Just fyi.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:57 pm

ive had a couple problems like that, but it often works for me. I think amarok is very picky about what order you do things like disconnecting it and such. I use amarok when i want to load my nano with random songs. I don't think gtkpod has an option to do that.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:03 am

No gtkpod doesn't have an option to do that.
But I'm curious about how you restored the internal database when you had those similar problems because nothing what I did seemed to solve the problem until I was able to load gtkpod again ...

The idea of being able to use amarok for all my music needs including synchronising the ipod is really great, and amarok rocks as a music player but if my ipod's database gets messed up every couple of weeks that would really tone it down :?